MR2 Engine Rebuild

Hello,

State of car when it went in: Engine burning oil, back pressure? as gasses go down the wrong way past the (a) piston, generally naff but still speedy and never overheated once. Ever.

State of Car now: (Six months after) Gas flowed the head, new pistons with whatever additional mm, re-bore the head for oversize pistons, head shines like new. Woo. New water pump, oil pump and belt.

Problem: The engineer has breathed the engine with the Toyota breather pipes but bubbles are still appearing back into the expansion tank. He says that the head could be cracked and he needs to take it out and pressure check it.

Why? I would have thought a head would have been checked before going back in the car? Sorry for the lack of info. After six months of waiting? I'm pretty mad.

Thanks all, Damus Maximus Waitinus NoCarus

Reply to
Dam6

Assuming that the head is indeed cracked (it could just be a gasket?), I would have thought that any reputable engineer would have certainly checked the head for any cracks after cleaning, *prior* to any machining work. Otherwise it is just a waste of everyone's time and money. He can't say it was cracked before so "it's your problem", as it is his responsibility to examine the head to ascertain its condition first. If he spent all the time and effort on flowing a cracked head, surely that's his problem not yours. Just my 2p worth. JB

Reply to
JB

Thanks JB!!!

Reply to