My car :-(

Maybe - maybe someone spilt some paint. Might be worth taking a picture of it and posting a link.

But hold on a minute, didn't you buy a low mileage car from a garage? Was it a trustworthy outfit, or a dodgy dealer operating from home?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pete.

[0] As in Waffer thin mint. Not to be confused with Wafer.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

Fuck off, I'm stuffed.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh, just one

Reply to
DuncanWood

No you're not.

Reply to
Stuffed

The message from "Stuffed" contains these words:

OK, I'm /also/ stuffed.

Reply to
Guy King

It's a bit hard to get that much detail in a photo, but I could try. I've got a picture of the rust though.

It was a private sale, the owner was moving to Australia. It was also a woman :-(

Reply to
Peter

My dad's come up with an idea for solving my car's problem :-D. He thinks it may be the rocker box gasket. We're replacing it this weekend anyway because there is an oil leak in it. My dad thinks the misfiring noise is due to a weak mixture and suspects that the rockerbox gasket may be letting some air in. At first it didn't sound right, but there are two parts to the gasket. There's the rockerbox part and then a section for the injector. If the injector part is also leaking then it may let some air in.

Do you think this could be causing the misfire and maybe the pinking? The pinking's very different now that I changed the ignition coil. It's generally quieter, but under heavy load is much more aggressive :-(. I don't know whether that's due to changing the coil or due to moving the HT leads when I changed the coil.

Reply to
Peter

Have you tried a full tank of Optimax to see what effect it has on the pinking?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Well, we don't want it to get cold now do we? Perhaps some draught excluder felt from B&Q would be better than a proper gasket, certainly you get more for your money and it'll keep all those nasty puffs of air away from the valvetrain and camshaft. Your dad may have experience in fitting that sort of things to household doors. Better ask him.

Reply to
DocDelete

Don't worry about it, it was probably just someone from this group coming round to fix your car once and for all...

Reply to
Scott M

:-o the gasket was about £2.65!

Reply to
Peter

I used to use Optimax every week until the petrol went up loads.

Reply to
Peter

Why didn't you say earlier hat the rocker gasket was leaking? Its a well known cause of pinking. The air gets into the rockerbox and the movement of the valve return springs causes a vortex and the air goes down the valve stems. If you had said this from the start, all your troubles would be over. Hope this helps.

Reply to
pb

Thanks for that. But how about answering the point?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You're evil, do you know that? :-)

FWIW, how the hell the OP's dad thinks that air getting in around the rocker cover is causing a misfire, I have absolutely no idea.

OK, if oil was pissing all over the plugs, _maybe_.

I'm beginning to think troll. I didn't before, but this is getting silly.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The crankcase in an engine is under slight vacuum to prevent fumes escaping into the atmosphere. The usual way is a large(er) pipe into the inlet manifold with a small(er) breather to allow in fresh air. If the rocker cover was leaking badly I suppose it could upset the mixture. Ish. Certainly removing the oil filler with the engine idling can cause some cars to stall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

In all my years I've never seen one which discharged on the outside of the air filter - all the cars I've ever owned and/or worked on or even vaguely seen have been between the filter and the carb/throttle body.

Reply to
Guy King

I think my mums old (1st generation) Nissan Micra was arranged like this.

Reply to
Rob

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

Avengers, Hunters, many cars from the 70s were like that; as the previous poster said, causing the early demise of the air filter.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon