My car feels much better now

Nope - Babbage Calculating Engine, steam powered, optional peat burner with Wilf Lunn at the controls.

Reply to
DocDelete

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

Coolant = water and antifreeze circulation round the engine / cylinder block to *cool* the engine. Oil = viscous fluid *inside* the engine to stop metal bits rubbing together.

Why should they be the same temperature? They live in different environments.

Reply to
DocDelete

Heh point taken, and I know it's no defence protesting that our internet connection is quicker than our car (probably not quicker than Peter's Siecento though).

Reply to
DervMan

My dad used to work in relatively nearby (Hamilton). I actually have limited experience of Motherwell, but the times I have been there I have just thought to myself "this is grim". That's sureley saying something as I went to school in Cumbernauld. (c:

Not that you'll necessarily be partaking but apparently there's good dogging just down the road at Strathclyde park. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*NOTHING* is quicker than Peter's Seicento... (under 40mph, anyway)
Reply to
Adrian

were

Yes, it's quicker than our internet connection. :p

Reply to
DervMan

It takes ages to do that!

Reply to
Peter

I can't see any mention of coolant in your 'cold engines' section!

Reply to
Peter

In message , Peter writes

It takes ages to read all the crap you have been posting recently. It takes two seconds to trim unnecessary material from your posts.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You've just checked, haven't you? :)

"There are a number of things that should get up to normal operating temperature: engine oil, coolant, catalytic converter and the exhaust." Second paragraph down.

Reply to
DervMan

David Taylor ( snipped-for-privacy@yadt.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Including a motorway.

Reply to
Adrian

Peter (petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So read quicker.

I bet you've never read faster than 40 words per minute, either - nor more than 5 paragraphs at a time.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, but environments that are remarkably close to each other.

I've often wondered if there's much correlation between oil and coolant temperature. My Seat Inca 1.9SDI van (shortly for sale if anyone's interested, 80k, recent cambelt done at main dealer, 1 year's MOT, 1 month's tax, 2001/Y reg, £3k ono) gets up to temperature (coolant temperature) very quickly indeed. It'll be half way up the scale within a mile of driving, if that, and not hammering it (there isn't really such a thing as hammering it), and stays there no matter what, doesn't budge even in the heaviest of traffic jams. Is that likely to be because it's got a relatively low coolant capacity (or just a small engine in general) ?

Is it fair to assume that the oil will get up to temperature in a fairly similar speed to that of the coolant?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No. Nowhere near.

Reply to
Adrian

No, it generally takes much longer.

Reply to
DervMan

In fact, thinking about it, I knew the answer to that as the Audi's got oil and coolant temp gauges.

How about this question then:

Will the rate of increase in temperature of the oil in one engine (let's call it A) compared to another (let's call this one B) be in similar proportion to the rate of increase in temperature of the coolant in engine A compared to the coolant in engine B??

What about this one:

Do oil temperature and oil pressure have a linear relationship? I ask as people always say that the oil pressure is the important thing, but all I've seen is oil temperature gauges.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not IMHE

Oil pressures important as a long term issue & a short term crisis, oil temperatures what determines when you can explore the rev limit.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Probably not; there are too many variables. Different oil and coolant capacities, different cooling system efficiencies, different locations, and "funkiness" such as a turbocharger.

Aha but you have. The "Low Oil" warning lamp is (usually or always?) a pressure switch. When oil pressure is too low, the lamp kicks in. My Dad's

1986 Merc 190 had an oil pressure gauge, as an example, and I remember my Cinquecento's handbook saying that after a fast run with lots of weight in hot weather, it was acceptable for the oil pressure lamp to be lit at idle (probably not one up at a maximum speed of 40 mph in a city, though).

There, I've justified this post by putting it back on topic! :)

Reply to
DervMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

No. You can rev the engine and see the oil pressure shoot up in a split second - the oil temperature will lag perhaps a minute behind.

Reply to
Guy King

What does the temp guage usually show, is it the coolant temp? Unfortunately I haven't got one anyway :-(

Reply to
Peter