Name that tool

My brother's looking to do something to the transmission on his scooter (I didn't ask and I don't want to know.)

Anyway, there's a tool that stops an assembly from rotating whilst you undo the centre nut, it can be seen in panels 1b and 2 of the following PDF:

I know what it's for and I expect that a couple of ring spanners tied together would do the same job but assuming that I have to go to a bike shop and buy/borrow one in front of half a dozen hairy bikers, what would I have to ask for to avoid being laughed out of the place?

Reply to
bweebar

I think if and when you find one you will pay an arm and leg for it and only use it for the one occasion.

I would make one out of a sheet of 6mm x 300mm x 500mm ply (or similar) and

2 x M10 bolts/nuts. Cut a V in one end of the ply to clear the fly wheel boss (looks like about 50mm will do), drill 2 x 11mm holes at the pitch of the fin/viewing holes (if they are same) insert M10 bolts, apply nuts and hey presto a quick fix...........and you don't have to face the hairies.

then sell it on ebay.............

Reply to
Lez Pawl

I should have thought the tool to use is a strap wrench or a chain wrench although the latter may damage the aluminium casting. Most good tool shops will sell you a strap wrench and it should not be that expensive. Make a note of the circumference of the casting as you don't want one that is too short.

Strap wrenches are normally used for removing the oil filter from engine.

Reply to
Alasdair

YEp, a couple of bits of any old steel will do.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:13:04 +0100, Alasdair wrot= e:

Either of them can damage that. It'll judder like a bastard if you disto= rt =

it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I can't see why a strap wrench would cause distortion as it applies pressure equally all the way round.

If the OP is so concerned about embarrassment, why does he not call the service department of the main dealer for the scooter and ask? Perhaps the manufacturers supply a special tool for this job, but I rather suspect it won't be cheap.

Reply to
Alasdair

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm aware of the function and operation of the tool, I made one up years ago to tighten the crankshaft pulley back on my Renault 5. I was checking the valve clearances so I had a spanner on the pulley bolt to turn the engine with only I forgot to take it off when I finished :)

I was just wondering if it had a specific name to make the process of blagging one for an afternoon easier.

Reply to
bweebar

He's not so concerned about embarrassment, he was just trying to be funny.

I suspect you are probably correct .

Reply to
bweebar

It's the sort of special tool which is fine if you're doing this job every day but likely far too expensive for a single use, and often has to be ordered.

If you have a dealer near you it might be worth trying to hire one over say a weekend by offering a large cash deposit.

Making something might not be difficult, but how strong it needs to be depends on how tight the nut is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try one on an empty can, they apply a significant crussing force at the point where you apply the leverage. If they just applied equal pressure then they wouldn't turn anythibg.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I've always heard such things referred to as "where's that bloody tool for undoing the whatever"

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In the end he bought an electric impact wrench for the job, he said it all came apart very easily (and presumably back together :)

Reply to
bweebar