New test item for MOT- Towbars

"Mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

He's right.

Trailers should be registered and tested.

Reply to
Adrian

About what exactly? He's not right in thinking that non-hgv trailers automatically have a chassis number; some of them are home-made!

Yep, no argument there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Doesn't mean they're legal.

IIRC, any trailer built in the last couple of decades requires a manufacturer's plate with a serial number & weight figures on.

Reply to
Adrian

Oh, of course not.

There's lots of trailers in use a lot older that that though. I wone der if that law was retrospective?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Can you tell me where I suggested they did? It was suggested that a test for trailers would only be workable if they had a registration scheme. I pointed out that there's one already for HGV trailers so it does exist.

Reply to
Conor

If wagon trailers are anything to go by, no.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Fred

Yo Cock, I'm on the sauce tonight due to a toothache. is this your house?

Mill Autos

Odd! they don't come much odder than you.

Reply to
Mill Autos

"Mill Autos" is this your house?

Wish it was. That's a rather nice house. Shame about the portrait of you painted on it.

Reply to
Adrian

No, that's only when they crash into the rear of LGV trailers.

When LGV drivers crash into the rear of car trailers, it's because of faulty lights.

Reply to
David Taylor

And how often does that happen?

I put it to you that if there's really a significant number of accidents involving trailers (which I doubt), then the majority of cases will have nothing to do with faults with the trailer itself, but were caused by overloading, uneven loading, speeding or sheer driver incompetence. None of which will be solved by testing the trailer.

The point that you clearly can't grasp, is that the electrics on any trailer that's stored outside are hugely unreliable so there's no substitute for checking that all the lights work every time it's used. An MOT test will achieve nothing. If anything, it will have a negative effect as owners will be less likely to bother to check their lights as "it passed last week, so must be alright". The _only_ way to cut down on trailers with defective lights, is to enforce the law and educate people to check them regularly. That doesn't need new or revised legislation.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

And if trailers become MOT-able, you can guarantee that agricultural ones will be exempt. Though of course, your example indicates that VOSA are quite capable of enforcing the current rules anyway, showing again that there's no need for additional testing.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Since agricultural vehicles are exempt, sadly you're right.

Reply to
Adrian

In rural areas? Enough.

Did you actually read what I posted?

No disputing of the fact.

With many, an MOT check will be one more than they'd normally get.

Reply to
Conor

"Mill Autos"

Bit early for 1st April. Very poor bit of image manipulation.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it's real...

Adrian

FWIW my electric car didn't need an MOT because (partly I guess) they wouldn't know how to test it properly and there weren't that many about at the time (20 years ago). Anyone know if that's still the case?

Also FWIW I still run the trailer I built over 30 years ago and treat that in the same way as I did the EV or any other thing I have on the public highway in that I try to ensure it's up to spec etc.

I think the legislation for un powered domestic stuff (unlike HGV trailers etc) would be tricky as where would you stop ... cycles and disability scooters next? ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well the only accident I know of involing a trailer was when a wheel fell off. When I used to have to tow oother peoples trailers regularly I just gave up expecting them to work (most common failure seemed to be crushing the cable) & bought my own towboard.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We'll see. Looks a well flakey grey background image laid on that roof to me, not even crisp edges, but we will see.

Mark

Reply to
Mark