[SOLVED] Nissan Micra '98 cut-out and wont restart

Tiit snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1170967061.154125.116890 @s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

OK, here you go:

Flooding, if you haven't already realised, is a condition where there is too much neat petrol and not enough air in the engine's cylinders for combustion to occur, hence the engine won't start.

It happens because when the engine is cold, a higher amount of fuel is injected to allow it to run smoothly. Once warmed up, the fuelling is reduced considerably. If the engine is cut off abruptly during this cold period, e.g. if you stall or move it then switch off abruptly, a large amount of fuel gets injected without getting burnt, hence it lies dormant in the cylinders and causes flooding.

Once in the flooded condition, you cannot get rid of the excess fuel and restart, because more fuel is being added as fast as you can displace it. This is where disabling the fuel pump comes in. It allows you to stop more fuel going in until you've cranked the engine enough to get rid of the excess. Holding down the accelerator helps because it admits more air into the cylinders, thus getting rid of the excess petrol quicker. Once this is done you can replace the fuse and all should be normal again.

To prevent this happening again, you simply need to remember to leave the accelerator alone for several seconds before switching off a cold engine, and try not to stall! If you're not confident that you won't stall, run the engine for a few minutes to warm it slightly before setting off (you don't have to warm it fully). That should do enough to stop it from flooding.

Phew....hope that's helpful ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Thanks very much for the help and advice everyone! I'll remember what you said, and I've booked myself into a basic car maintenance course, which I definitely need! Thanks again!

Reply to
Tiit_Helimut