Number plate requirements.

This was the whole spirit of my original question. We know what the system suggest we should do to obtain a number plate but it doesn't say and no one has yet come up with any personal experience of a non 'official' plate causing any issues?

Other than it being 'the rules' you mean? ;-)

Quite. ;-)

It might be able to get closer if they clamped down on those supplying such plates but if they are sold as 'for show only (but happen to look identical to an official plate ... )' then I guess it's down to us?

I would still like to find out what 'rule / law' we were breaking and the consequences (if there were any). [1]

As always.

Cheers, T i m

[1] When I notified my motorcycle insurance Co that I'd fitted a tow bar to my bike to tow a camping trailer they phoned the underwriters and phoned me back to say 'that was ok'. I asked if they could put it in writing but told me they couldn't. I then said I'd take my business elsewhere and I got an email confirmation of the agreement pretty quickly. The point being that I wasn't willing to risk someone's word over the phone as the chances are it would mean zip, if something happened that then put the cover to the test.

Q) "And do you have any proof that the motorcycle was still insured after such modifications?"

A) "Yes sir, I have here an email I printed at the time from them confirming that the modifications were notified and accepted." (etc)

Much better than 'Erm, well, the bloke said it was ok on the phone ...'

Q) "Did you believe you were buying the number plates from a Registered Number plate Supplier for use on the road?"

'You can only get a number plate made up from a registered number plate supplier.'

Nick says they are lying but ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

MOT garages/stations are not in the business of losing possible repeat custom. If the plate is not damaged and meets all the regulation with regards background, font, colour etc. I suspect that it will allways be accepted as OK for a MOT.

Reply to
alan_m

Its another bit of pointless legislation aimed solely at the law abiding in our society.

The criminal is always going to find a way on making 'illegal' plates not matter what the law says.

Its much like money laundering legislation where you and I have to jump through a number of hops proving who we are before opening a bank account while the same UK banks are prepared to accept millions in offshore deposits from drug dealers or corrupt foreign national leaders.

Reply to
alan_m

My Ebay supplied "show plate" on the back on my car which was made without me giving any more information other than the registration has small print with a company name and post code and another ID number.

How is anyone seeing this information going to know that it isn't a 'legal' plate? (assuming that the registration belongs to the car)

Reply to
alan_m

You are joking? Many try and dream up additional work for themselves. I've lost count of how many times I've been told I need new brake pads etc shortly after they've been replaced. Wheel bearing need adjusting on a vehicle where they can't be adjusted. And so on.

I don't know what they check today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As have all those I have had made up in the (recent) past (except this last set).

They aren't going to 'know' just by looking but they will when they try to find the makers name in the register of authorised plate makers? Assuming they haven't ripped that off in which case your details won't be on record at the real place (and the cost of not doing such can be fairly high):

"Fines and penalties

If you don?t register, you could be fined up to £5,000.

British standards

The number plates must conform to British standards or you can be fined up to £2,500 and/or be banned from supplying number plates.

Keep records

You must keep records of the number plates you supply or you can be fined up to £1,000 and and/or suspended from the register.

Records must include:

the registration number the customer?s name and address and entitlement to the number plate a number that can be used to trace a customer and is taken from an original document from an accepted form of ID, such as a driving licence or V5C

You must keep records for 3 years."

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You would be wrong.

I'm more than willing to tell anyone that asks why I don't use Rolleston on Dove service station for MOTs and tyres any more.

I arrived early to collect my car, he was running one rear wheel on the brake tester as fast as the tester would drive it with the other side locked. After 7 years of using this garage and buying a full set of new tyres every year he had found the LSD sticker on the diff so was in the process of warping the plates of a £1000 VLSD - have to buy the whole 4 pinion spider gear set that mate with it. After that it went shsss, shsss, shsss as the plates made contact every time it went round a bend.

Reply to
Peter Hill

So any plate over 3 years old is untraceable. That in effect means any car with 13 plate or earlier can have plate made anywhere as they won't have records.

Reply to
Peter Hill

the rollers should never be used when an LSD is present, you should have made an official complaint and a small claim if they did not pay out.

Out of interest the rear lsd on a crv can make noise on cornering (without any abuse), changing the diff oil for the latest type stops the noise straight away, I was surprised, thinking it was beyond something so simple. This has worked on an old crv and a new one.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Wouldn't 'necessarily' have records ... no, unless the DP act states they must be destroyed after 3 years etc (they could be held on computer and so not a storage issue as such).

So yet another way the 'rules' are undermined (and probably why we haven't heard of more issues with it).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But (m'lord) this isn't a 'number plate' in the context used. It's a show plate, and not for use on-road. This is clearly stated at the time of sale.

Hold water?!

Reply to
RJH

Hmm, good point, as long as that was made clear at the point of purchase. However, many state '100% MOT Compliant - Road Legal' which from what we seem to have found so far, is valid (as no one seems to care the supplier hasn't jumped though the appropriate hoops). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m