That Labour party election broadcast tonight.

I've emailed Top gear (seeing as it back on Sunday) about the blatent criminal activety in the broadcast

"Oi, Jezza. Sorry to be so rude, but I'm spitting feathers here. I hope the "unique way in which TopGear (the TV show) is funded" won't stop you have a right old go at your paymaster Phoney Blur.

How dare his shadiness attempt to woo british voters to throw away even more freedoms they might still left by voting in Labour at a local level too, using a "new MINI" with it's personalised "VOTE" number plate. They showed it rev, they showed it roar away from the line, they showed it playfull weave through corners showing it's Union Jack paint scheme.

First, who the bloody hell can afford to drive like that anymore. Second, who can risk roaring away anywhere thanks to speed cameras and bloody anti-social laws, and green numpties. Third, the "VOTE" plate was illegal for a number of reasons. i)That plate does not exist. ii)The Font and spacing was illegal iii)The Supplier of the plate did not obviously check the legality of the VWM before issuing the plates. Fourth, That great symbol of Britishness in it's Union Jack is German.

Three seperate criminal offences to promote "nuLabour" in a political broadcast. I do so hope you will mention this, especially as it won't be influencing the people as you are broadcast after the vote on the 4th May." Let's see if it gets broadcast.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Reving ain't illegal, and neither is quick acceleration. I doubt that it was doing anything over legal speeds.

Erm, I saw this, but didn't really pay much attention. It wasn't on public roads was it?

Reply to
Peter

In england it is illegal to sell plates that don't conform to the spec. The seller could lose the ability to supply them legally.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

NeedforSwede2 ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

for road use

Assuming they didn't sell them with a disclaimer that they're not for road use. Or that the supplier is in England.

Reply to
Adrian

unless registered as a show plate?

Reply to
Vamp

"NeedforSwede2" wrote

It most certainly isn't.

It's quite legal to sell show plates, and quite legal to display them on a motor vehicle provided it is not on a public road.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Perhaps they bought them in Scotland.

Reply to
Jack

Show plates are surprisingly hard to get hold of these days!

Reply to
DanTXD

"DanTXD" wrote

Incredibly hard. For example, you need to be able to type "show plates" into Google and I wouldn't have a clue where to find anyone who could do that.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

I meant in the real world. I like to get out from time to time and don't always start shopping by googling. Go into Halfords or a normal motorfactor and try get some show plates.

Reply to
DanTXD

DanTXD ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This is 2006. The internet IS the real world.

I had to check to make sure you weren't Pinking Peter...

Reply to
Adrian

Hehehe I'm just bored :) I wrote my diss on internet shopping and the car industry, it's a damn uninteresting subject :-D

Reply to
DanTXD

DanTXD ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Obviously.

You wrote a dissertation on shopping online for car bits... then "forgot" about buying show plates online... Academia is doomed.

Reply to
Adrian

Perhaps they did. I still think it is a real "take the piss out of the voters" when they use a Car used in fun way, when all they have done over the years is f*ck over the motorist.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Actually I did think about it, but I'd already clicked 'Insert Sig' by that point, and didn't care enough to type anymore :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Scotland isn't any different. You need to present a V5C or other proof of entitlement to the number, and they need to conform to C&U.

Ireland sends out the most 'show' plates. Curse them and their italic fonts.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

"NeedforSwede2" wrote

Yes, but at least there aren't three million people on the dole any more.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

When did they change that? The last couple of sets I bought didn't need any paperwork.

Reply to
Jack

According to the DVLA the only suppliers that need to be registered to supply plates are those in England and Wales, AFAIK suppliers in Scotland aren't and can still supply plates to anyone.

"Who is exempt from the Register" "Number plate suppliers located entirely outside England and Wales."

Reply to
Jack

Is the V5C/proof of entitlement thing recent? The 2 different places I have had plates made haven't asked me for anything (neither plates were for cars I had any documents for, or indeed belonged to me), this may have been anywhere up to about 2 years ago though.

Reply to
Douglas Payne