Octavia gearbox

i am a taxi driver and have an Octavia SDI classic. the gearbox that is fitted from the manufacturer is not up to the job and is on its way out. i would just buy another one from skoda, but with the gearboxes being weak, i will be in the same predicament within the next

100,000mls. therefore, can anyone tell me if there is a modification, or an upgraded gearbox i can use. incidently, i have mentioned my concernes to my local skoda dealer, to which they acknowledge the fact and will replace the gearbox until the warranty expires, then it is up to me. i do not want to spend money on a poor quality component, can anyone help?
Reply to
ian simpson

The poor quality gearbox on the Octavia is fairly well documented, although I've yet to read or hear of a mod or different box that will fit and is stronger.

Have recently come back from the Canaries where every other taxi is an octavia (the rest are MB) and should have asked them what they do, as travelled in quite afew that were showing 300-400,000km's on the odometer..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Isn't the gearbox a standard VW gearbox, the same as in the Bora?

Reply to
Makhno

get it replaced under warranty this time and move the car on before it needs another one....

Reply to
Mark Craft

Get a quaife :P.

Reply to
Doki

Get a Citroen or Renault TDI there box's sem to last longer these days than the engines will ever manage :)

Reply to
Will

whats wrong with the boxes? I tried google, but got flooded by motorsport.

Reply to
Neil B - blueyonder Internet Redditch

Anren't the TDi boxes any stronger? I'd have thought there'd be warranty hell if all those Golf's ended back in the garage in much less time...

Reply to
Phil Howard