Odd battery fault

Every now and again over the last 18 months my wife's Micra has had this problem.

On turning on the ignition it gives every indication of a flat battery. When trying to start the car really does seem almost dead. With every try it gets better. After several attempts the starter whips the engine around as though there is no problem. This persists for several days and then all is fine for a few months.

Battery connections seem good - also earth straps.

Reply to
John

Check the cables to the starter motor. I had a similar fault once which turned out to be a fractured cable from the battery positive to the starter solenoid. The cable sheath was so inflexible that it was very difficult to find. Cost me a starter solenoid that one did.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Check the connection between the cables & the lugs. Probably easiest when it's playing up but that sounds like a cable break. Occasionally it's internal to the battery.

Reply to
DuncanWood