OT - baby buggies

Has anyone else noticed how bloody technical these things are getting? My kids are grown up, no grandchildren yet, so I don't have any recent experience of them. I've been noticing lately that the ones with three wheels like bike wheels sometimes have steering by castor action on the front wheel, sometimes not. But today my attention was attracted by something very shiny on one I saw being pushed round Tesco, just as it disappeared up an aisle, and when I saw it again I had a closer look, and it was fitted with a disc brake on the front wheel! WTF does a baby buggy want with a disc brake? OK, mustn't overshoot the sweeties and ice creams, but come on, this is taking the piss.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Next they'll be fitting NOS systems...........

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nappy overflow sensor?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Same reason same people have a great big 4x4 and window signs that say "baby on board" - a form of status symbol

Noxious-oxides? Don't the babies come with those systems already installed!???

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Angry Baby Sensor? Dummy Over-Heat Control? Screaming Infant Pacifying System?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Ha, you just reminded me of something else I saw recently. I'm in the building society, and there's a mum with a kid in buggy and mum is talking to the manager.

Kid- "mummy"

Mum " Wait a minute darling", keeps talking to manager.

Kid "mummy" Mum keeps talking to manager.

Kid -insistent now " Mummy mummy mummy"

Mum keeps talking .

"MUMMY"

"Just a minute darling, I'm nearly finished"

even louder "MUMMY"

Mum- annoyed now -" Wait a minute" through clenched teeth.

Loudest voice yet- "MUMMMY MUMMMY MUMMY"

"All right all right, I'm coming now" Mum finishes talking to manager, starts pushing buggy towards the door.

"MUMMY I WET MYSELF"

Puddle where buggy used to be demonstrates the truth of this statement.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

and dont forget the 2.9TI

Reply to
no longer a registered user

The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Worse, they're still too small for me to push comfortably.

Reply to
Guy King

Probably the 'Jane Powertrack 360'.

I was always dissatisfied with the brakes on our buggies - usually just a bar that pushed in between the plastic spokes.

And yes we did explore widely enough and to dodgy enough places that a decent and controllable brake would have been useful...

Reply to
PC Paul

Whats even more scary is the ease at which women manage to unfold them.

Reply to
Conor

With practice, anyone can do it.

I'm a whizz with our McLaren. They *look* complicated, but they're not[0]. With ours, you just pull the handle away from the wheels, and then press a foot lock thing in.

Collapsing is pretty much the same, but there's a safety interlock which means you can't collapse it with your urchin in it.

Pete.

[0] Having seen some of the excuses for parents on TV, they can't be too complicated, or they'd forget what they were doing halfway through it.
Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

Pah - these Health and Safety designs really take the fun out of life.

Reply to
Guy King

True. I was going to say with some of the little basdarlings round here that wouldn't be a safety feature, it would be a design flaw.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

So you've tried then? And why can't you release the safety catch while they're in? (-:

Reply to
Alan Gauton

Nah it's there for the Dad's when they get involved in the buying - bit like flash alloys and go faster badging on the car.

Ours does indeed have a front disc brake, castoring front wheel etc. but seriously, that front brake is a handy bit of kit going downhill.

Now, if I can just get a small spoiler from somwhere..........

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

The message from snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com contains these words:

You already have a small spoiler, as you will discover as it grows up.

Reply to
Guy King

The catch just makes it harder to collapse.

Their torso is the *real* thing that stops it collapsing ;-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I've seen them too :) I've also seen one which is a tripod with the baby seat perched on the top ?

Reply to
dojj

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

That's the Martian version, innit?

Reply to
Guy King

it looked more like one of them things you use to do painting on

Reply to
dojj