OT: Ch 5 Ice Road Truckers

Anyone watching this on Five (in the UK)?

I find it oddly compelling. It's a bit soap-opera'ish but driving heavy vehicles across frozen lakes has to make good telly. The last episode where one driver was injured made you realise how expensive health care is in the US/Canada. (he had no health insurance and the bill was $12K)

Reply to
pjlusenet

Saw the whole series on UK History. One thing you realise is that we don't really do winter here and most drivers are piss poor in the slight dusting of snow that we do get. Quite embarrasing really.

Reply to
Conor

My immediate thought when I heard the size of the bill, was how could he have been so stupid not to bother with medical insurance, but then I was young and idiotic too once and may well have done the same. You'd have thought the transport company would have insisted that all the drivers were properly covered.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's about £6k, and TBH that's what I'd expect if you had to pay the costs of such treatment here - helicopter evac from a very remote location, probably a fair distance in an ambulance, and this being America, a

*massive* amount of diagnositic tests. I'd not be surprised if he had MRI scans and the like. And then there's the cost of a night's stay in a hospital which is likely to be of a much higher standard than a UK one...
Reply to
Doki

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:24:34 +0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Willy Eckerslyke:

I was under the impression that Canada has a national health service... is it not the case anymore?

Reply to
Alex Buell

I think he may well be a yank in Canada, so different rules to normal may well apply.

Reply to
Doki

Not quite going on what I was looking at when I researched going over there.

Reply to
Conor

He certainly sounds Canadian, or like those impressions Yanks do of them (where they say "Aye" a lot)

Reply to
pjlusenet

I was in Canada a few years ago and there was (IIRC) at least 6 foot of snow over 3 days. Amazingly the roads were kept clear* and there were no warnings about not driving unless you have to like we get here as soon as there is a hint of snow. I think about it everytime the weather forecasters mention snow and not driving - we just can't deal with it.

  • but there was wall of snow at the side of the road with channels for pedestrians to cross through with the excess being dumped into the Gatineau river until it froze over and became one big ice rink - no pucks or hockey sticks allowed though)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew

Those living in countries where snow is common tend to have things like snow tyres for the winter. Which make a vast difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to have a set on the Capri. Which I'd "borrowed" from my housemates Mexico. But the only time since has been when travelling to somewhere really snowy, I've yet to meet anyone who whinges about our inability to cope who's prepared to spend the money themselves.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They (Canadians, at least) have also had the basics of survival in sub-zero temperature hammered home to them from a very early age until it becomes second nature to them.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Them ol boys want gassing

Ted Rubberford

Reply to
Teddy Rubberford

The episode where one trucker had a coolant leak was interesting too. He said he would keep the truck running (presumably for a day or so) and keep the coolant topped up until the garage could do the work. I would have thought trucks in those conditions had engine block heaters fitted, but there was no doubt a good reason to keep it running even if they had them fitted. Got to hand it to those boys. Fascinating.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

The engine block heater doesn't help when your blocks split.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think it's only available to Canadians, otherwise you'd get the whole of America crossing the border.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

No it doesn't, I was there in February. My wife injured herself skiing. At the hospital reception there were signs saying that all non-Canadians and _uninsured_ Canadians must pay for treatment.

If you are a foreign national you pay first and reclaim it from your insurers later, so even if you are insured, you pay. It's Ca$380 just to be seen, plus doctor's fees, medications, bandages/supports, crutches etc.

My wife had, fortunately, merely badly strained her calf. The bill was Ca$525 - about £260. We've now had that back from the insurers, less excess of course, but had we been on a tight budget that might have made a dent in our holiday money.

An interesting aside here was that when they had finished treating her they apologised for being so busy (there were about 12 patients in A&E and only one doctor on duty). My reply was "Busy? You should try an English hospital!" The sad truth is that the effect of having to pay for your hospital visit is to keep away the drunks and malingerers that clog up our A&E departments.

Reply to
asahartz