OT Lorry restricted to 40mph?

Long stream of traffic, slow moving lorry at front. Sign on back of lorry says "This vehicle is restricted to 40mph on single carriageways BY LAW".

What law is this? Just curious.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Another Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's the speed limit for a wagon on a single carriageway road.

Highway Code rule 124...

Adrian

I'm sure a lot of casual hirers of minibuses don't realise that lower limits apply to them on some roads...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ditto vans.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"Many drivers ignorant!" Hold the front page. Or maybe not.

Reply to
Adrian

furthermore, the technology exists for such speed limits to be enforced with speed cameras,

-- DAS

Reply to
David A Stocks

"David A Stocks" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, various people have said this in the past.

But nobody's ever come up with the details of how it might do so...

Reply to
Adrian

The Road Traffic Act.

Reply to
Conor

Well the speed cameras on the A1 north of Newcastle definitely detects wagons going over 40 in a NSL.

Reply to
Conor

Out of interest, if a single carriageway has a marked 50 limit, are goods vehicles still limited to 40mph, or does the signed limit apply?

Reply to
OG

they must still obey their own speed limit

Reply to
Mrcheerful

40MPH. Basically at all speeds at 40MPH and above, the limit is still 40 for HGVs.
Reply to
Conor

My wife was recently told (on a "speed awareness" course, after getting caught by plod with a gun at 35), that a particular road in Telford had a 50 or 60 limit posted so the trucks could do more than 40, because that is what they'd be limited to if it was NSL. I don't know the facts myself, but this is what she was told. Is this bollocks then?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yup, it's bollocks

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 "86. Speed limits for particular classes of vehicles.? (1) It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle of any class on a road at a speed greater than the speed specified in Schedule 6 to this Act as the maximum speed in relation to a vehicle of that class."

"
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I suppose it could be possible if it's a designated 'special road', but IANAL and I'm merely speculating

Reply to
OG

Lorries have a different speed limit on single carriageways

Cars 60

Vans under 2 tonne laden 60

vans over 2 tonne but less than 7.5 tonne 50 although transit type vans do tend to get away with driveing at 60 by most non traffic units

Over 7.5 tonne 40

Many lorries haVE GPS speed restriction which is linked to on board sat nav now

they will not travel over that speed

Reply to
steve robinson

Most non traffic plod dont know either

Reply to
steve robinson

weight sensors fitted within the road , induction loops , or just matching number plate to vehicle .

With the lorries a height sensor will suffice

Reply to
steve robinson

Still limited to 40

Reply to
steve robinson

That's the most likely approach because it's a mature technology (ANPR) which would work particularly well with SPECS installations. The system is already grabbing number plate data so it's not a huge step to match these against a database of vehicles, especially as you only need to know about the HGVs.

-- DAS

Reply to
David A Stocks