OT Lorry restricted to 40mph?

"steve robinson" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

None of which are anything approaching foolproof indicators.

Reply to
Adrian

They don't _need_ to be foolproof.

Reply to
David Taylor

Nope, I got flashed about 3 years ago by exactly the one Conor mentioned. In a two axle rigid, foreign plates, flat out (88kph) and never heard anything more about it, which I suppose rules out ANPR and points to some kind of hardware recognition of vehicles longer than a car. Don't know how they do it but there is a lorry lane over a busy bridge in Rotterdam and cars get flashed if they use it.

HTH

Reply to
GeoffC

In message , GeoffC writes

I was surprised to see a flash in my rear mirror(s) as I passed a local speed camera at exactly 30mph, (didn't trigger the warning camera immediately before it).

I have been told that two flashes mean "You're nicked", but this is the first time I've seen this camera flash, and only because it was very dark, so I'm slightly concerned...

Back to main topic, maybe the first flash establishes the vehicle type, and triggers the second?

Reply to
Gordon H

There was a spate of flashes at a red light camera in Leicester. Turned out they were not recording the images, but merely flashing people if they went over the line at amber, to try to get them to slow down in future.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

someone once said that cameras with no film left still flash, but only once and at the exact limit, simply as a discouragement.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This one is (sensibly) placed close to a bend where two fatal accidents happened to cars driven by teenagers, just as the 50mph limit on a motorway bend in Stockport was introduced after two fatal accidents happened to teenagers whose cars "went out of control" on the way home from a club 20 miles away at 3am. I could take that bend at 70 without tyre squeal.

Would it be better to raise the minimum age limit to 21?

Reply to
Gordon H

AFAIK red light cameras use two flashes, one to show you crossing the line when the light is red and a second to get a shot of the number plate. Speed cameras only need to flash once to get your number.

Reply to
GeoffC

Gatsos flash twice to take two timed shots to confirm the speed reading.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Not in Holland, Germany or France they don't, although the ones in Germany and France aren't Gatsos. In Holland I've only ever seen a double flash from red-light cameras. According to

"one or two photographs are taken (depending on the device's setting, which generally depends on the requirements of the local jurisdiction)."which would explain that.

Reply to
GeoffC

Welcome to uk.rec.cars.maintenance.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thank you. Could you now please explain the relevance of Gatsos to car maintenance?

Reply to
GeoffC

They are a useful tool for diagnosing faulty speedos?

Reply to
David Taylor

Perhaps someone could explain to me what the "OT" in the header means?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I could think of a cheaper method.

Reply to
GeoffC

What is the relevance of embarrassing swimming trunks to Gatsos?

Reply to
Gordon H

I check mine (and others) against my GPS, that's pretty accurate unless you are in a tunnel.

Reply to
Gordon H