ot - Top Gear fan or fury? (mild rant)

My bro's is a 2009. Probably heavier...

Rover V8s don't really need to rev high. The 4.2 thrives on torque more than anything really.

Here's the torque 'curve'.

RPM BHP* Torque Corr>Torq BMEP

1000 38.3 201.3 207.1 118.65 1500 63.7 223.2 229.7 131.54 2000 87.3 229.3 236.0 135.15 2500 115.0 241.5 248.6 142.38 3000 146.0 255.6 263.0 150.63 3500 176.7 265.2 272.9 156.30 4000 203.3 266.9 274.7 157.34 4500 225.0 262.5 270.2 154.76 5000 235.8 247.7 254.9 145.99 5500 241.0 230.2 236.9 135.67

*BHP figure is not the corrected one (which is higher...)

Reply to
Pete M

Heh, yeah, I'm not sure many of us have actually done that. How's it working out?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Nope, he speaks the truth.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It can only out-accelerate them when the gears are chosen such that the power:weight *at that speed* is greater for the mondeo. Given free choice of gear, it loses.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It hasn't really been a car show for a long time, it has been an entertainment show. Some people like that format some don't. I would disagree about the egos. James May certainly doesn't have one, he's quite humble - a bit of shy, quiet hermit if you ask me. Clarkson is like margaret thatcher. You either really like him or you absolutely cant stand him. Again I don't think he has any ego, but some people may think he has a bit of a stuborn arrogance, and impatience. That's just who he is IMHO. I think if any of them do have ego, then its probably Hammond. His stock seems to muliply since his major accident and the ladies seem to like him for some unknown reason. He's a balding dwarf who could audition for a role in the next James Bond movie as the return of Nik Nak!

I see more egos on Fifth Gear show. They absolutely love themselves and think they're it. Sad thing is they're trying to copy the Top Gear guys and failing miserably.

Who cares. They are presenters not engineers or mechanics. And who cares whether he says orques or torque? Nobody gives a flying f*ck, we all know what he means.

Ah! So that's why you have it in for them. Difference of opinion.

And you have more than them? Do you even watch the show? They've done quite a lot of tinkering about over the years.

What cars do you want to see on the show? They already have the best on it.

Reply to
John

Top Gear is sold worldwide, and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a profit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Up to what speed? My SD1 with only the 3.5 EFI and three speed auto is pretty quick up to about 80 from rest, but after that it cries out for more gears.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
+AD4- Top Gear is sold worldwide, and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a +AD4- profit.

It does, I read it recoups 4x what it costs to make. Not only is it entertaining, it lowers the licence fee :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

It's simple - it's not a car show, it's an entertainment show based around cars. Most mass-audience programs on TV are set up to make "good tv"; ie entertain people, and often the entertainment comes at the expense of fact, truth or honesty Don't think for a moment that programs like X-factor are genuine talent searches for example; they're equally set-up and pre-planned (I know plenty of talented singers who have not even made the televised auditions, and there's plenty of utter dross that does).

The stunts on TG used to appear real, now there's not even the pretence of that - it is almost a parody of itself. But in doing that it appeals to a far wider audience than the ordinary petrolhead. And that's entertainment. Presenters make ridiculous statements or do ridiculous things because it winds the audience up more, and most people are perverse in that they love to watch things that wind them up!

As long as you get your head round it being entertainment for the masses and not a serious car show you can relax and enjoy it more.

Reply to
asahartz