Passed MOT, first time, woohooo!

Motorist tip no.#743675478

Get one of those see through sliding zip folders to hold and keep all the car paperwork & put all paperwork back into it when your finished .

I speak as somebody who once basically had to do a room by room search to find his insurance certificate in order to get road tax .

Reply to
SOR

Before I got up this morning, the van ('98 Master) had no MOT (run out about

4 days ago, naughty me) and only one day's tax left. Having already kicked myself for not sorting the tax out within the last two weeks of the month using the old MOT, I had to get it MOTd so as to be able to tax it. Phoned up one local garage, who seem to make more money from bus/coach recoveries, and they couldn't as their MOT tester was in London recovering a bus, so jumped in the van and went around a place where a mate of mine said he's never needed to book it in, always just turned up and they fitted him in - no luck today, fully booked until Monday. Went to another local place I know, "leave it with us and it should be done within 1 1/2 hours", fair enough. Come back in just over an hour and it's up on ramps getting inspected, 10 minutes later I walked out with an MOT. Popped home, and after much digging through rubbish scattered across my room I found the tax reminder form and insurance certificate, went and got the cash out (couldn't find cheque book), and got to the post office 2 minutes before closing time and got the tax.

So now it's gone from no MOT and a day's TAX to a year of both. I'm a happy bunny.

Oh, and if I manage to find a decent not extortionately priced Sprinter CDI LWB, then this will be for sale, spec as follows:

98/S Renault Master Van, 2.5 diesel (I average 27-30mpg doing multi-drop work, engine running pretty much al the time) 2.8 Tonne GVW, Good clean condition, only ever done light work, 1 year's tax and MOT. 1 previous owner from new. Recent-ish cambelt (within the last 5000 or so miles), Recent oil and filter change, air filter, fuel filter and aux drivebelt. Recent new battery (£106) with 3 year guarantee. Genuine low mileage - 53,000 miles from new. Drives superb. £4000 no offers.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from SOR contains these words:

It's that time of the month! I found mine within 6" of where I was looking for it - but in a stuffed filing box 6" is a lot of paper to sort through.

The woman at the Post Orifice said about 1:10 bring in the policy schedule not the Certificate and go away muttering rude things when they are sent away with a flea in their ear.

Reply to
Guy King

I took in both, and they didn't want to play, so I took it to another PO who looked at me strange, so finally took it to the DVLA office, who looked smiled issued me with a Tax Disk, and explained that half of the time to PO sent people away with valid certificates....

All in all took me about 5mins, damn sight quicker than going to the PO in the end.

Reply to
Tom Burton

I have a similar thing, but mine looks like a DirectLine envelope which has all car shit in, log book, tax disc receipts, key codes, receipts for work carried out on the car. When car is sold, hand over DirectLine envelope to new owner - it's always reassuring to someone when they have receipts for work they didn't know about.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Why would they need the schedule? I just produce my one-page certificate (Has my name, car reg, pol number, start and end dates) - the schedule is none of their business. Worked for me no less than a week ago.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

It's not that they need the schedule, but that they /only/ brought the schedule.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Tom Burton" contains these words:

The only time I've had trouble was when someone in Hounslow post office said that I couldn't have a tax disc for one of my buses 'cos the MOT had less than two weeks to run.

Reply to
Guy King

recoveries,

The MoT must cover the day the tax starts, so if it ran out on the 30th it wouldn't have done to buy a tax disc for the following first.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Er - no - I don't think it's bollocks. The reminder clearly says that you have to present the Certificate, not the Schedule. They're not the same and the bod shouldn't accept the latter, though I imagine occasionally they do.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

But they do know what they're on about - they rightly insist on having the certificate regardless of whether you've brought the shedule as well.

Reply to
Guy King

Heh - I have got a system, it's called a pile for car-related paperwork. Except that system has descended into temporary chaos at the minute!

Well I had to systematically go through lots of piles of magazines, letters etc etc., to find the log book for my Carlton I sold a while back, and after searching through everything twice (this is when the bloke buying it had come along and refused point blank to buy it without seeing the log book), I couldn't find it, and had to get the DVLA to send me a replacement (despite offering him to get the DVLA on the phone to confirm anything he needed to check, including my address) - right PITA that was, as it meant I didn't sell the car until about a week later, and I was skint at the time as well. Annoying thing was, I had the log book in my hand about a week or two earlier. Anyway, replacement arrived, sold car, no probs, then ages later (months down the line) I found it in a folder full of records for work-related stuff, that I would never in a million years have thought of checking. D'oh!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's bollocks that. But funnny you should mention that, as today I went armed with the certificate, schedule, and the covering letter, just on the off-chance that they were going to get funny about it, which they didn't.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You misunderstood me, I was agreeing with you, saying that it's bollocks that they don't know what they're on about.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ah, I got ya - I misread your original post - the post office woman told you that 1 in 10 people bring the schedule and then get turned away, I thought you meant that about 1 in 10 post offices get it wrong and ask for the schedule. D'oh.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

It's late!

Reply to
Guy King

AstraVanMan wrote on Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:07:00 GMT:

Well I read it as the woman at the post office (at ten past one) telling Guy to go home and get the schedule, not the certificate, then the woman getting upset when she was proved wrong somehow...

Reply to
David Taylor

Did the MOT run out before the new tax was valid or summat?

Reply to
PM

The message from "PM" contains these words:

No, it ran for a few weeks more than the tax did. That was what was so annoying.

Reply to
Guy King

You wouldn't have been able to tax it on the old MOT if that ended before the tax renewal date - at least that's what the patronising c*ut in the post office told me when I tried the same thing with my car.

Reply to
Albert T Cone