Petrol in a deisel car

While reading the "petrol in a diesel car" thread, I had a thought. If a larger amount of petrol was accidentally put in the tank, could top it up with veg oil in to thicken it up again? Veg oil has to be heated up to 80C to have the same viscosity as diesel.

I read that the ultra low sulphur diesel has to have additives to make it as libricating as "stinky" diesel, and an ideal lubricant is biodiesel. One of the probs with petrol is the reduced lubrication.

So, if my hair brained scheme was to work, what ratio of veg oil to petrol would be required?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

If you are telling us the veg oil and petrol both have lower levels of 'lubricity' than diesel, how can mixing the two create a 'product' that has 'lubricity' values greater than both of the ingredients?

One might suppose that adding veg oil to petrol will increase the viscosity of the resultant brew, or maybe not as the petrol may attack the bonds in the veg oil and break it down.

Even so I doubt that viscosity is related to 'lubricity' to closely.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

ULS diesel needs added lubricants [1], and one ideal substance is biodiesel. Since biodiesel can be made from WVO, I was thinking veg oil might also have the required lubricity. As you say though, the petrol may break it down.

Bob

[1] defeating the object if you ask me, unless biodiesel is used.
Reply to
Bob Smith

In news:45cdea95$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Bob Smith wittered on forthwith;

Petrol also goes "BANG" a lot easier than diesel...

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:eqkq0j$pov$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Not in a compression ignition engine. The ease of getting the bang here is indicated by the cetane rating and bears no resemblance to the octane rating.

Reply to
Fred