polo cv boot advice

Just looking for tips changing the outer cv boot on a A reg polo (83/84) - does the cv joint just knock off or do I fit the boot from the inner end? Ive done vauxhall cavs which have clips holding the joint on.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

The Haynes manual says that you just knock it off. There is a circlip who's grip you have to overcome when you are hitting it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from Paul Giverin contains these words:

When you're putting it back on - mind that the ends of the clip are uppermost so that they hide in the groove on the shaft otherwise you risk catching them and breaking the ring.

Reply to
Guy King

Can't you get the extra-flexible ones that you install using a cone over the CV ?, I used them on a Vectra, they cost a little more but are a lot less hassle.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

It comes off when you hit it. If you haven't already got it off go & buy a new 3/8" or 1/2" drive allen key to undo the bolts holding the inner CVjoint to the gearbox, they're normally a bastard to undo without rounding.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

Oooh, yes, I remember them. Complete and utter bastards.

Reply to
Guy King

And make sure you do them up properly with Loctite. They are extremely prone to coming undone. The best outcome is no drive, the worst is holes in the engine/gearbox.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

If they just knock off why will I have to undo the allen key bolts?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

To disconnect the drive shaft from the gearbox, it's easier than undoing everything else.

Reply to
DuncanWood

I understand now - but I had already removed the ball joint and track rod end, driveshaft bolt. will remember for next time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill