Polo oil warning light

Last year (5000 miles ago) my wife's Polo 1.4 CL suddenly showed a flashing oil lamp and audible warning. I was told by the garage (it happened when she was 200 miles away!) that the problem was a faulty oil pressure switch.

Same warning happened today. It's under warranty and I assume it will be sorted on that basis. However I wondered if these switches are likely to fail on such a regular basis or if there's the possibility of something else that wasn't properly sorted last time?

You see, I just checked the security of the clip holding the wires onto a sensor on the bottom right side of the engine (over the gearbox cover I think), and it did seem to "click" ever so slightly into position - and after that no oil warning, no siren blaring...

More generally, the oil level is fine and the car leads a fairly gentle life with the odd long run.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

If the wire from the oil pressure switch has rubbed through and is earthing out somewhere along its length, this will give you the symptoms you describe.

Most common places for this are at the engine end, and on one of the many dashboard brackets behind the cluster. They can be a right PITA to track down.....

HTH

Anthony

Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Something I do these days, when the engine is coled, is to spary all electrical connections in the engine compartment with WD40 and keep it up annually.

Could save all sort of problems with corrosion etc.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Many cars use silicone grease in their connectors these days for the express purpose of preventing corrosion. WD40 might well wash this out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Silly question, but - how can you tell?

Reply to
R. Murphy

It's a white grease. Take a connector apart and it should be obvious. FWIW, I wouldn't use WD40 for *anything* electrical on a car - there are products designed specifically for the job which are far better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave Plowman mumbled:

Actually, it's "Regnat Populus (The People Rule)"

though some have suggested "If you can keep it in your pants, keep it in the family".

Reply to
Guy King