Possible dodgy MOT, what to do?........

That is the legal definition of 'roadworthy' with regards to the MOT yes? It just only applies at the time of the test. I don't know what the legal definition of 'roadworthy' is outside of the test time. I know there are minimum standards for tyres, seatbelts, etc. Other than that, as far as I know, it is entirely subjective.

Reply to
Maria

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:12:33 +0000, Mrcheerful wrote: [...]

I'm very surprised by that; I certainly always do *unless* I'm buying something "good", in which case it would be too new to require an MOT :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

Serious answer; look here:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

At a brief glance, I don't see any reason to lift the bonnet..

Reply to
Paul

Things like checking for corrosion around the battery and elsewhere.

Reply to
The Revd

That's where the Construction and Use Regulations kick in.

Reply to
The Revd

Perhaps you needed more than a brief glance?

(This page specifically says "It is usually necessary to open the bonnet...)

(This page specifically says "It may be necessary to open the engine compartment...)

There are a number of other reasons that are not directly mentioned, but would still require bonnet opening on pretty much all vehicles. For example, inspection of fuel lines for leaks, or checking power steering system for leaks.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The Revd wrote

He had the bonnet up when he was MOT-ing my car yesterday, but I didn't ask why. ... but why do they always move the driver's seat to the most uncomfortable position, and I have to spend time (grumbling) getting it back to the way it suits me?

Reply to
Roger Hunt

So your sweeping statement "If they didn't even lift the bonnet, they didn't really carry out on MOT then." only applies when it's _necessary_ to open the bonnet. So not for every vehicle then.

Both of which are often easier seen from below while the vehicle's on the lift or over the pit.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You're clutching at them.

Reply to
Conor

Pray tell how do you check the brake master cylinder and brake pipes for leaks without lifting the bonnet? How do you check the area within 30cm of structural components for corrosion?

Reply to
Conor

interesting to note the MOT and C&U regulations don't always agree ....

Reply to
Jethro

Brake pipes, signs of leakage from the master cylinder, brake servo, fuel pipes...

Reply to
Conor

ITYF its the RTA.

Reply to
Conor

Every vehicle I can think of, yes. Can you suggest one where it wouldn't?

Do your eyes go round corners then? Or do all the vehicles in your field of experience have the PAS reservoir mounted underneath? Or the brake fluid reservoir? Or the fuel injectors? Or any of perhaps a dozen or so things that come to mind that can only be seen with the bonnet open.

Incidentally, it is also a requirement that a check is made that the bonnet can be secured in the closed position on all vehicles where when opened would obscure the driver's view. Arguably, to check that the bonnet *can be secured* would require initially opening it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As well.

Reply to
The Revd

Well since the most recent vehicle I had MOTd was a Series 3 Land Rover, and the tester didn't lift the bonnet, that one.

He did point out the minor leak from the injection pump, but didn't seem too bothered by it. Leaks from the brake fluid reservoir are hard to see from above, but would be more obvious from below or inside the cab, around the pedals. PAS? Yeah right! A dozen other things? Erm, nope I can't think of any. You could see the top of the chassis rails, but they never rust on top under the bonnet, the underside being far more critical.

Arguably, just checking to see if it _was_ secure would answer that.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Exhaust system, shock absorber mounting points, physical brake mounting (assitant presses pedal and inspector observes for weakness ... there *was* an assiatnt wasn't there ?) ...

Reply to
Jethro

All easier inspected from below. I'm not being facetious here, leaks on any of those are hard to see from above on a Series. About 6 inches of brake pipe as it enters the master cylinder would be obscured from below, but I'm not aware that every inch needs checking and that bit is high enough never to corrode.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Underneath.

Not under the bonnet.

Nothing to see from above. Can only be reliably checked from inside the cab. The pedal boxes are tough as hell anyway, it's the bulkhead where they're mounted that gets weakened by rust. This is usually obscured from above by the pedal boxes themselves, but easily seen from below.

Just me, doing what I was told.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke