Possible dodgy MOT, what to do?........

No, but the trader may have mislead the new purchaser by selling an unroadworthy vehicle.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Why did you check up on the MOT in the first place ? just plain curiosity ?.

How do you know the dealer hasn't had it fixed so his kids/wife/ realtive/bit on the side can drive it. Maybe it's a loan car ?.

Maybe he is a shark, why not call in at his premsies to pick up something you "left in the car" ?, quick check underneath then you know for sure, and may have grounds to complain (and a legal explanation).

Reply to
Paul

Yep, us "ooop north", our ancestors invented the Train and the Friction Match. And a few other bits and pieces.

Reply to
Paul

There's two of us.

That'll confuse.

Reply to
Paul

Most Southerners think Luton is the North.

You think everyone is unemployed ?

We do a bit more than dig big holes.

Tell that to a Scotsman face to face. (or Woman in fact)

Nah, tried that.

Reply to
Paul

In what way?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've changed mine - cos my name isn't Paul really anyway! I just don't like internet to collide with my real life!

;-)

Reply to
Paul (makey uppey name)

Pretty much.

Again, I don't. But, what I do know is the logistics don't add up. When I rang, all I had was a number out of the paper so didn't know where he was coming from.

The details entered on the yellow slip show him as "Joe Bloggs Service Station" 8 miles away from me. The new MOT was carried out the following day at a garage 5 miles from me in the opposite direction meaning he (apparently) travelled 13 miles across a large town to get an MOT done.

Anyway, I'm done with this now. Thanks to those that offered wise words.

Reply to
Ask me another

It is. The North begins at J10 on the M1. It says so on the signs.

Except for those making chip butties (whatever they are).

But not much.

They're usually drunk.

Try harder.

Reply to
The Revd

Both now redundant.

Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, was born in London. That's in the South, BTW.

Reply to
The Revd

Are you refering to the bit that says "If the vehicle has neither Vehicle Registration Mark nor VIN/Chassis Number/Frame Number by which it can be identified..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vehicle Registration Mark is the number plate, isn't it? So if the vehicle has number plates, but no VIN plate, it is _not_ grounds for refusal under point 1(i).

I had this ... ahem ... discussion with a local tester a few years ago about my Triumph Vitesse which is old enough not to require a VIN plate. He realised his mistake after reading the appropriate documentation. Perhaps you should do too.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

And not essential for living...

Reply to
Conor

Becoming increasingly essential...unless you live in old carboard box in hole in road.

Reply to
The Revd

you live in one or the other, not both, no one in the North can afford two homes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There have been times when due to the usual assistant making the tea or doing her ironing I *was* the assistant when I had a car tested. No objection from me apart form being sat in the car jacked up to the rafters of the building. With one person testing how do you check for ballooning brake hoses when there is no one to press the foot brake?

Similarly, how do you move the steering wheel from lock to lock?

Or pull on the handbrake to detect seizing and lost motion?

Reply to
Mike

I used to frequent a very dodgy mot station, in order to speed things up I used to be the assistant, as they had two testers this speeded things up a lot. Till one day some toerag car dealer threatened me for having assisted in the test of his car, I never assisted with any one else's test again. Quite what he thought I had done to influence his test I do not know.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What, even after working 16 hours a day down pit?

Reply to
The Revd

The Revd wrote

Huh - 16 hours a day was part-time for us.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Fake MOT and selling the car as having a legitimate MOT with a reasonable chance of it being roadworthy.

Obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception, IIRC, was the term often used.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

But that's always possible, getting an MOT done within 24hrs of buying a car doesn't suggest that.

Reply to
Duncan Wood