Possible dodgy MOT, what to do?........

Fair enough.

Reply to
Conor

Because it's the RK's name that's in the frame for a number of vehicle-related offences, and until the selling RK has that confirmatory letter, there's no indication that he or she is no longer at risk. Hence my original comment; if the police visit the selling RK for a vehicle-related offence, the chances are that it's because the transfer hasn't gone ahead for some reason. That might lead to a sticky situation for the selling RK.

Reply to
Kim Bolton

not forgeting the fact that a bonnet that can not be opened is a refusal to test, so an mot wouldn't even be carried out. As i had today. I have a VOSA meeting tommorrow night any questions you want me to ask them :o)

section 1.g

reg

Sigh - "Usually" .. its not manadatory, and certainly not on my LDV... Sunspension items all better viewed from underneath rather than trying to peer down thru engine bay..

To look for source of leaks...if no leaks or lack of brake efficinecy, why would they look?

Reply to
Paul

most modern cars have the chassis number visible underneath the nearside lower part of the windscreen, so unless you take the screen out your not going to be able to remove it !

Reply to
reg

pointable offence on the mot scheme, you have to physicaly read it from the actual vehicle, we are not allowed to write it down from any other source then what is presented on the vehicle.

Reply to
reg

From below? Drips of fluid. LDV - no suspension items in engine bay.

Reply to
Paul

Ditto my LDV (actually have two)..MOT has never opened the bonnets - but spend an inordinate amount of time poking below..

Reply to
Paul

perhaps I should have said interesting rather than good. I am always less scared of the mileometer than the service history, which if it is an interesting vehicle it will have. Anything without means I have to make my own mind up purely on inspection, which usually means I walk away after I take note of how many things need fixing.!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

And your avoiding the situation - nobody apart from buyers care about the mileage - yes or no - simple point, argue against it but don't try to sideline it.

Reply to
Paul

well usually testers check the security of the master cylinder and the level of fluid, battery security, engine oil level on diesels, at a minimum. on a series three you might not need an emissions check, but most have the battery in there and afaik all have the master cylinder, so he/she should open the bonnet.

has anyone ever seen a female tester?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

drivers seat security is an mot check, so moving it can be expected at many testers

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I can beleive that they are 'supposed to' ..but my MOT station always asks if the old MOT is available, then sits down at the screen and opens a file using the info off that, then goes and pokes about the vehicle.

Whats this points system - some kind of strike off system for stations?

Reply to
Paul

traffic lights, unless you are green you are doing something wrong in essence.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

not saying you are, but you could be giving him a doctored mot with a different chassis number on it.

yep, but points dont make prize's, if your bored

reg

In message , Paul writes

Oil temp measurement, RPM measurement. Inspection of braking components, pipes etc. If the bonnet can be opened then the security of the secondary latch needs checking too.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Chris Whelan writes

Even more common is to not rev the bollocks off it on a diesel (conversely, revving the bollocks off a petrol engine is one of the dodges). AFAIK RPM measurement is still not required for the MOT on diesels. Certain smoke meters can be fooled into provoking a pass with a well placed finger or two and if the meter is the type that needs calibration with a 'filter' then the filter can be used to provide a pass given sufficient twiddling experience, there's really no need for a second vehicle. There are plenty of dodges for petrol vehicles too.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Jethro writes

Oh I don't know, I can name quite a few places that *only* test so it's perfectly possible. I believe it's not necessary to register for VAT if you only test (it might be a turnover thing though so I could be wrong about that)

TBH, they'd be better off making sure it's a level playing field and preventing dodgy Dwayne's MOT station from discounting the test and making it up on the 'necessary' repairs.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Mrcheerful writes

Yes, a few. Although you'd have been hard pressed to realise a couple of them were female and one of them you'd have been better off not realising.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Maria writes

Whilst it doesn't 'guarantee' the vehicle is roadworthy it's a fair indicator that the car is at least substantially OK providing the vehicle hasn't been crashed or cloned since and the MOT was done properly.

Different items have different expectations of longevity after the test so it's perfectly possible to raise a complaint with VOSA against the testing station if a subsequent inspection shows them to be unroadworthy within certain time limits.

For instance, for a vehicle to be unroadworthy due to corrosion a week after the test means the testing station can be in deep shit.

Reply to
Clint Sharp