Possible dodgy MOT, what to do?........

Indeed it has in so much as it being a confirmation they have received the change of details.

See above.

Reply to
Conor

Yawn.

Virtually everything worthwhile has been invented by northerners.

Southerners are merely leeches on the rest of the country. You'd starve and live in the dark without us.

Reply to
Conor

Holds no weight in law.

Reply to
Conor

Richard is the trolls sock.

Reply to
Conor
[...]

How do they manage to find one meeting that requirement that also has an appropriate recorded mileage? Or are you going to suggest they swap out the speedo as well? The costs involved at this level of the market would easily exceed any potential profit.

I have some knowledge of local small-time traders; they develop a relationship with a testing station that usually only has one bay. Mostly, failures are objective. It's easy to stretch the rules without getting caught. For example, structural corrosion will be quoted as an advisory.

The one time a second vehicle is involved is when emissions can't be met. A second, similar vehicle is then hooked up during the test to provide the "data". Very common dodge with smoky diesels.

I'd be interested in statistics showing the number of fatal accidents directly attributable to vehicle defects versus the number directly attributable to crap driving...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

For that statement to be valid, you would need to def "The MOT certificate confirms that at the time of the test, without dismantling it, the vehicle met the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards required by law."

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That's very interesting. I didn't know you could do that.

thank you

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

.

What do they do about the VIN number stamped on the chassis that the MOT testers put on the ticket too ?

Reply to
jethro_uk

Dopey too, apparently.

Bullshit.

Northerners' dole money is paid by Southern taxpayers.

You *do* live in the dark.

Reply to
The Revd

Private sellers aren't subject to the same legal constraints as traders.

Reply to
The Revd

My local MOT station is really lax, last one I took in they didn't check the VIN plates against the log book, didn't even lift the bonnet - so it would be trivial to swop plates.

As for speedo - does anyone in officialdom notice? There must be hundreds of speedo failures per year, changed with scrappy speedos of different mileage - advising mileage on logbooks is optional - so its up to the MOT station to query any obviuos discrepancy - and they won't if like my local.

Reply to
Paul

They read it off the logbook/old MOT - see my other post.

Reply to
Paul
[...]

If they didn't even lift the bonnet, they didn't really carry out on MOT then.

No one "in officialdom" might notice, but you would have to be a particularly dim purchaser of a used vehicle at this level to not check.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The mileage is recorded on the MOT.

Look at Paul grasping wildly at those straws.

Reply to
Conor

Prove it.

BWAHAHA.

Reply to
Conor

there is no requirement to show a log book. there are vehicles without a bonnet, so need to lift it. many vehicles have dead speedos, unless I was buying something good then I would not look at the mileometer to compare it to the mots.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

But its meaningless - except to a potential purchaser. There isn't a computer that spits out a list of cars that suddenly seem to have gone back in time - and the speedo police turn up.

Don't see why - as above - NOBODY bar a potential buyer questions speedo reading changing across MOT's - period.

I used to drive a cars with LCD dashes - forever failing in on old cars

- had two in two year - my mileage went from 150k to 100k to 120k - MOT police didn't knock on my door and the MOT station didn't care.

So your point is about the straws?

Reply to
Paul

Your assertion...you prove it.

Yes, I know Northerners enjoy being subsidised by the South. There's no work (gruft, to you) up there any more...all the coal mines have closed! Scotland is even worse. More devolution required!

Reply to
The Revd

Damn, does that mean my Land Rover hasn't got an MOT? What was he supposed to be looking at?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

See Conor's reply. It confirms that the paperwork has been completed - as opposed to those cases where the seller forgets to send away the greeny and the buyer ends up having to apply for a reg doc themselves.

If you don't own the car, how can you be liable for anything that goes wrong, unless you are driving it yourself?

Reply to
Maria