Re: Air pipe on old lorry?

"newshound" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I have a Horsebox on a 1986 Leyland Road Runner chassis, (7.5 tonner > like a modern Daf 45). > > The inspection people have just failed it for having a "braze" on the > air line from the compressor to the first reservoir. I havn't had a > close look yet, but someone may have replaced a length of the original > steel with copper. My local service guy thinks it is OK and an > unreasonable fail, but obviously sees it as a rats nest job and doesn't > want to touch it. I just need to get it fixed. Pipe is about half inch. > I did wonder if it was a soldered repair, which might be more reasonable > grounds for failing. > > One difficulty is access to the compressor joint (luton stops the cab > from tipping). System pressure is about 6 bar. Can't use polymer (like > trailer curlies) under the chassis apparently. Does anyone know what > materials are permitted, e.g. copper, stainless, other alloys, instead > of steel? Obviously it has to have a suitable pressure rating, > presumably 12 bar or higher. There is already one compression joint in > the line (apart from at the ends). So one strategy might be to cut > forward of the braze, remove the brazed section to the compression > joint, and make up a new piece from the old compression joint and use a > second joint to connect it to the line to the compressor. But that > assumes the existing front (copper?) is actually OK. I know about > galvanic corrosion with mixed materials. > There's a local branch of Pirtek, and I'm told they can make up just > about anything, but I'm not sure if they will know for sure the legal > requirements for lorry air lines.

I'd be _gobsmacked_ if they didn't.

I havn't spoken to the local DAF agent yet, but I imagine it's not a > stocked spare, so they'd just get a special made anyway.

You may be surprised. It's gotta be worth a call.

Reply to
Adrian

We have run several Daf 45's / Road runners.

The airpipes and power steering steel pipes indeed like to rust for fun if not kept coated with grease. Daf use captive gland nuts with the pipes flared at each end, which rust internally. When you try to un-do them, twists the pipe off. :(

I've used hydraulic hose & fittings made up by my local agri parts shop to replace the pipes entirely. Certainly ok for oil, can't see why not for the air compressor.

Can you access the compressor at all with the cab down?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

The cab should be able to tilt. A luton I drove many years ago had the floor panel of the luton head loose so it could lift up to enable tilting the cab. Of course many horse boxes are backyard conversions and this may not be the case here.

Just on the off chance that you have a BH postcode, there's an excellent place in Poole called Thread and Pipe, I recommend them.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Basically, if they can't tilt the cab, they're going to have all hell on to try and do it.

Reply to
Conor

I had wondered if this might be the case, but I suspect not. The luton has "fitted carpet" and it looks to me like the steel framing would get in the way even with the floor out, but it's difficult to be sure without trying. Also, the cab tilt/release mechanism has been disabled in some way that I havn't spotted yet, but while I am grovelling around underneath I will have more of a look around. Apart from the cab issue it looks to be quite a good quality conversion. If the worst comes to the worst, I could always take an angle grinder to the luton because we are not that likely to be sleeping in it.

Reply to
Newshound