Re: F**king brake bleed nipples

"malc" wrote in news:0J82h.45433$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Anyone else want something whilst he's out? >

Oh, and a bag of chips would be nice.

Reply to
Tunku

Maybe nipples get tougher with age?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I do apologise, I'll travel back in time two or three years and buy the vehicle then, rather than last week :-)

A what? If you mean could I tell they were probably more likely to shear than loosen, yes I could, just couldn't see what else I could do about it, so applied pressure and prayed.

I used a proper fully enclosed hex spanner, what else was I supposed to do? :-(

I don't know why I care anyway, I'll just crack open the brake pipe unions and bleed them through there when I get round to it.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"Vim Fuego" wrote in news:mZa2h.36112$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

That's the normal way, at least on my French crap.

Reply to
Tunku

Why when pads are changed? I've changed a few sets of pads over the last 35 years, but never done that. Am I missing something?

John

Reply to
John Henderson

On abs-equipped car it's good practice to open the bleed nipple while you push the piston back, to avoid reverse pressure in the ABS pump. In fact, it's often considered good practice anyway to avoid the possibility of reversing the master cylinder seals.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

OK... I may be wrong here but I thought that when the brake pedal is completely released fluid can flow freely between brake lines and fluid reservoir and the master cylinder seals and pistons will form part of the conduit between the two, ergo when fluid is pushed back up from the brakes it just increases the level of fluid in the reservoir and as long as you've taken the reservoir filler cap off the only pressure on the seals would be due to the weight of fluid in the reservoir. Go on, what have I missed? :)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Noted, thank you.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

I'll admit I've had more difficulty bleeding brakes on some modern vehicles. My Nissan Almera manual says to release the brake pedal slowly when bleeding. I find that this helps with other vehicles the family owns too. I've speculated that there might be some increased restriction between reservior and master cylinder - perhaps to dampen pulses from optional ABS units?

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Yes. I've yet to break off a bleed nipple despite having slackened many on all sorts of old cars. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tighten it first sometimes works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was referring to when you change the pads and have to push the pistons back in. When bleeding the brakes I use a pressure kit.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

No idea. It's just what I've read, and what I've done on my own car.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

When you panic stop wonder what pressure is on the seals? And pushing fluid back through the system when changing pads puts any pressure on the seals in *exactly* the same way - think about it. The only difference is that with the master cylinder in the rest position a passageway is open to the reservoir.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do you work that out? In it's relaxed state, the m/cylinder is designed to allow fluid to to return into the reservoir. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It also helps if a light smear of copperslip or similar is applied to the nipple thread, when they are replaced. Also making sure that caps are always replaced after bleeding, to prevent corrosion from the inside. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, last week'll be fine. Then you can get lots of penetrating oil soaking in to them.

Quite... Now, stop grooming your colleagues for fleas and don't sit on David Attenborough again, please.

Heat, penetrating oil left to soak in.

Reply to
Adrian

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Easy. Modern cars are made of cheese.

Reply to
Adrian

I don't think so. More likely because you have mechanical sympathy. Something that's sadly lacking with many DIY car mechanics. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I appreciate that. The mechanism I speculated about to explain the desirability of releasing the pedal slowly may have ramifications for pushing a caliper piston back quickly.

Do these fit a wide variety of reservoirs? I presume that a good seal to the reservoir is necessary.

John

Reply to
John Henderson