Re-use Ford laminated driveshaft nutes?

I want to have a look at my Fiesta brake linings and fluid seals. Is it

100% necessary to replace those nuts every time you take them off? I did re-use one once on someone's Ka, and the wheel hasn't fallen off yet.
Reply to
Georg von Krapp

'driveshaft nutes'?

On the assumption that you mean the rear wheel hub retaining nut, does the particular Fiesta you own have the four bolts in the brake back-plate that allow removal of the brake drum and hub as a single assembly?

If so, that is the correct way to remove the drum for brake inspection. The single wheel bearing used on those is not designed to be disturbed, except for replacement.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Oops!

Thanks. I'll assume that it has. It does seem odd to have to dismantle the bearing just for an inspection.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp
[...]

Any help?

The beauty of doing it this way is that the hub is not in the way when you replace everything.

If working a a car that is new to me, I take and print a digital photo as soon as the drum is off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not sure till I get a chance to look at it. It's not the same variant as mine, because I don't have the spare wheel hanging underneath like that. But you never know - the hub may be similar. Mine's a 2003 Zetec 1.4 (Mk5 or Mk6, depending on what you're reading).

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

Chris, I cannot remember the exact details now, but when I took off the hubs to check the rear drum shoes of our 2003 1.6 Focus, 'the backplate' (possibly similar to fig.5) was held by rivets which had rusted through and it came off in my hand (honest).

Hope this doesn't happen to the OP.

David

Reply to
David