That BMW wheel damage.

Hi all

I went to the car earlier, and took some pics and looked underneath...it started fine, now probs, and looking underneath ok the susp is bent on one side so that would need doing..but can you take a look at the pics and tell me know what you think. Whats the going rate for man hours to remove and fit new parts? the back wheel is now more camber so maybe the rear drive shafts too and lsd

I am not sure if its worth getting a non runner off ebay, but i guess it would be better to get new like from GSF etc.

Sorry the pics arnt great, the cop range rover pulled it close to the wall....

cheers

Reply to
Jules

Ouch, I remember your thread about when you purchased it

If you getting a new one, is it not worth claiming on your insurance?

If you do claim, I hope they about the non-standard alloys

Reply to
A C

From the pics, I'd say the front needs a new strut, lower wishbone, and wheel.

But given the level of impact it's taken to do that, it may of twisted other things. Check closely around the suspension/subframe mounting points for any evidence of twisting (ie. small cracks in the paintwork)

And that nail wouldn't cause the tyre to go down that quick.

Reply to
M Cuthill

I had some standard wheels last week but the tyres i was not happy with (was due to fit new rubber this week, sods law)

Not claiming off ins

Reply to
Jules

Jules ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If that's still sat on the roundabout looking dishevelled, then I'd be VERY surprised if it's still there and not at least partially stripped in the morning... and if it is tomorrow morning, it won't be on Wednesday.

If you're even toying with the idea of keeping it, then bloody get it shifted to somewhere safe ASAP.

If you DON'T want it, then I'd _still_ get it shifted, before somebody else decides to have it to break and fleaBay the bits...

Reply to
Adrian

The nail wasnt there much earlier, i know that for sure, it was ok going down the dual carrageway and 3 quarters around the round about then suddenly it went...

Reply to
Jules

your right, its being moved tomorrow i hope.

i expected the clear bits to be done..the alarm still works but hey they cant drive it, its a mega busy round about even at night not far from a cop shop so its in plain view which is better than middle of nowhere.

Reply to
Jules

Could you not have gotten the back end out with a bit of loud pedal or yank of handbrake? It's worked for me in the past...

As for the damage - I agree that a new lower arm and strut may help, and also to really check the various mounting points and metalwork for distortion before even thinking about buying the parts.

Reply to
Stuffed

How about his for your next BMW?

1/4mile & on video

Reply to
A C

Jules ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So they roll up with a "recovery truck" and if asked, say that you asked 'em to collect it...

After all, who in their right mind'd nick a bent car from a busy roundabout outside a police station?

Reply to
Adrian

too close to the kerb, i got it sideways from total understeer hoping it would spin on the spot but not enough room, if it had been dry i would have been ok and not gone into the kerb or even a bit further away....

will do. i

Reply to
Jules

I would say that it's likely that you just lost traction on a roundabout that hadn't had any rain for weeks then a sudden downpour. There's a roundabout near me that I always spin the back end out on unless I take it really really easy when it's wet. The nail is probably a red herring. That's also a hell of a lot of damage for running into a kerb at 20mph. If you'd hit somebody I'd be pretty sure that the police would be prosecuting for driving without due care and attention but becasuse you didn't and the car appeared legal then it's just too much hassle for them.

If you're thinking of paying someone to fix the car then forget it. If you're doing it yourself then parts aren't extortionately expensive but will soon add up. Yes you could get complete subframe assemblies from ebay or elsewhere and take it from there.

Maybe save up and get one with DSC next time? :-)

Reply to
adder1969

It was a series of strights and round abouts, this being the last one, it had been raining for a few hours but i know what you mean about first bit of rain after none cos of diesel and oil residue on the road, but it wasnt that slippy and no standing water. I actually had got almost all the way around when it went off so was pointing in the right direction straight. I always check the pressures on a quiet sunday morning along with the tyres so i know it wasnt there a couple of hours before....

Yeah i am gonna see a bmw guy i know to see what he thinks.

seen a few on ebay that look tatty and need engine bits etc so no mot, will see over the next couple of months what that goes like

maybe!

Reply to
Jules