RENAULT

I have a laguna wich has just snapped a timing belt at 10-15 mph whats the chances of the valves being smashed any help pls Renault Laguna 2Ltr (1998)

tia bily

Reply to
marion mcqueen

Realistically there is no chance of escaping without major damage. However, the first thing to do is replace the broken belt and test from there.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Don't just replace the belt and put it all back together and start the engine, that's a sure fire way of ruining the engine more!!! The best thing to do is fit a new belt as you will have to get one anyways, and replace the Aux belt while your at it.

Turn the engine over by hand using a socket set with a long reach arm either on the cam bolt or the bottom end pulley and feel for any part of the turnover being excessively difficult to pass(take the plugs out as well so you don't mistake compression for roughness :) ) and if you feel any roughness that's a valve that's been bent.

Afraid on this engine like mine that if the cam belt goes it takes at least

2-4valves with it. I you have the valve spring compression tool and get a headgasket set from GSF and the appropriate valves, seating in tool&paste then you could realistically have the job done in an afternoon if you have ever done similar before. im pretty sure if I started mine at lunch I could have the head off and at least4-6valves replaced by dinner time doing the job on my own. the most difficult part is unmating the exhaust manifold and downpipe apart, nuts are likely to be rusted on and VERY hard to get at. I left both manifolds on and lifted the head out on my own with both on and its quite heavy even for me :) oh and run the engine in gently for 100miles, then unplug the ecu for an hour while you change the oil, check the water, check the plugs. then but it all back together and thrash it for 15mins once you have left the engine sat and warm up and it should get its nice ecu settings back and be quite drivable again though it will feel different and you may end up nuts short or with some spare(I always end up short :( ) but Renault stock them fairly cheaply & readily which is good and the Mac system they have makes finding them a doddle. Anymore help I can give you let me know, Will
Reply to
Will