Restoring Plastic Trim

What's the best way of making the plastics on my car go back to a black colour rather than a fladed black/grey colour?

I've tried back to black, which works for a few days, but that's all. It's far too much effort putting the stuff on when it needs doing every week. It can also come off onto your hands/clothing if you're not careful.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Peter. FFS get your priorities straight.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Peanut butter (or peanut oil) works really well believe it or not. I know it sounds strange but try it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

In news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Black trim wax.

In your case, you've probably ended up with a black c*ck after examining the results...

Bet that made you happy :-p

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:43c7f2cf$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

Like "ew" totally.

Reply to
DervMan

Tyre gel.

I thought you enjoyed washing your Siecento with a toothbrush on a weekly basis?

Okay right until this part of the post I could take it seriously. Then I read the above and interjected the above comments.

Reply to
DervMan

Oh, interesting :-o. I suppose I may as well make my tyres look bling while I am at it lol.

I wouldn't say 'enjoy', but I do wash it weekly. Doing the plastic every week takes a long time because you must not get it on the paintwork etc.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Is tyre gel really better than stuff designed for bumpers and trim?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Baby Oil

Reply to
BORG

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Yeah, it holds the style longer and prevents split ends.

Reply to
Guy King

Boot polish

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Just to clarify, as I noticed the OP

Black Boot Polish....

Boots as in shoes..

Ummm errr... Like this

NOT ...
Yea, and that's black as in
:-) (as-in a smiley)

Reply to
Tom Burton

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Just lick it all over.

Go on - you know you want to.

Reply to
Guy King

"Tom Burton" wrote

What he said.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

We do all of the black plastic bits on our cars using tyre gel for a few good reasons.

One, it's cheaper than back-to-black. Two, it's easier to apply. Three, it lasts longer. Four, it smells nice. Five, we can also do the tyres too, BUT NOT THE ROAD GRIPPING BIT.

Reply to
DervMan

What does the tyre stuff do to the tyres other than make them look 'good'? Does it help protect the tyre at all or is it just for show? I can't decide whether the tyres look better with or without the stuff. I've seen some cars, and I think it looks silly, but I don't know whether to do it myself.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just for show.

If you really have enough time on your hands to paint goop on your tyres every week, you REALLY do need to get a life, Peter.

Reply to
Adrian

It's just for show; tyres don't last long enough for the difference in UV to make any difference to longevity and I daresay the gel's ability to repell water isn't useful.

Have you read the packaging?

It makes the tyre black rather than that grey / browny colour they get.

If you are worried about this sort of thing then you don't need to do it.

Reply to
DervMan

Not always true. Rear tyres on Seicento's seem to last forever, and my ones were starting to crack quite badly after 5 years. 4x4's with spare wheels on the back also tend to get a lot of exposure to sun without ever being used, which can cause serious cracking.

Nope, I haven't got any of the stuff.

I've actually looked at the stuff I've got, and it's Turtle Wax Black chrome or something, not Back to Black, although my parents call it Back to Black.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk