rounded nut

Sods law the last 1 of 8.

Round and soft, tried moles but not a chance, in a corner so not a great place or much room, cant cut off and i cant get no heat to it.

I thought about whacking and trying to shape or chisel off.

Any tips?

ta

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Room for a nut splitter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

whats that?

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

================= Have a look at:

car spares shops sell them. Alternatively, you could try an old box spanner - squash it to a tight fit in your vice and hammer it on to the nut.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a sort of collar that fits over the nut and has a blade at right angles to the nut which screws in and splits it. Rather similar in effect to a cold chisel, but without the same risk of damaging the stud or bolt. They come in a variety of sizes, and if space is tight you'd need the smallest one for that size nut - they will all cover a range of sizes.

Can't say I can remember seeing them in Halfords - you'll need a decent tool shop or motor factor. Draper do make them, though, so an accessory shop might be able to help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Drill it out - drill a pilot hole in the side of the nut then work your way up to bigger ones. You might have to bash it a bit then with a chisel or similar. Worked a treat for me recently.

Reply to
adder

You could try whacking a slightly undersize hex, not bihex, socket onto it. I've also had fairly good results to loosen tight nuts them with a cold chisel. Digging it into the side, then hitting it in the unscrewing direction. Though if they're very tight it simply cuts the corner off the nut.:-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Hi,

when you say you can't cut it off do you mean with a hacksaw?

how about with something like a dremel tool?

ttyl

akia

Cicero wrote:

Reply to
anonymous

metric?

what's metric?

are those the weird continental non-standard sizes I find on the ducati? (I've got to buy all sorts of strange tools for that)

I think they're used on japanese things too. :-}

DB. wrote:

Reply to
anonymous

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

thanks, i would have cut out the metal around the bolt, cars stripped for scrap and bits.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

tried, cant get a hammer to whack on, not enough room.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Soak overnight in diesel, WD40 or similar.

Try again with the right socket, but try tightening the nut up a tiny bit. If this works, it will break the bond and the nut should then come undone. Don't impact the lever and apply force only when you are sure the socket is seated properly. Gentle pressure on a long handle is preferable to jerking a short lever.

Another possibility is to get a socket that is slightly too small, perhaps an imperial one. Offer this to the nut and use a hammer and, if necessary, a suitable spacer (another socket or an extension perhaps) to push it fully onto the nut. Gentle pressure on a long lever fitted to this socket (I believe these are called something like wrecker bars) should either undo the nut or break the bolt.

Drills and nut splitters can be considered but often when you offer the drill in the right place, it slips away unless you rig up some clamps and stands. Nut splitters, as has been mentioned, need space around the nut.

Another option is to replace a bigger bit of the vehicle. Sometimes, for example with bearings or CV joints, it can be economical to get a larger piece from a scrap yard rather than a small bit from a shop.

It is usually good practice to attack the most awkward nut/fitting first.

A final option is to put the other 7 nuts back and ask a mechanic to quote for the job.

I often ponder how easy car maintenance would be if every nut could be undone first time.

________

dp

the back of the nut as a gap of just a couple of cm, cant get nothing apart from a long ring spanner near. PITA

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

that about i think all i can try, if i could get it off the car i would be happy.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES