Rover 214 clutch problem

Hi group, All of a sudden my clutch wont work. When the engine is running im stuck in neutral. The pedal feels different, the degree of resistance isnt the same. If i switch off the engine, select 1st then start the engine the car moves off even with the clutch in. Im hoping its the clutch cable. Does anybody have any ideas? how much is a new clutch? i just need to fix it so i can sell it. It cost me £700 (its a 1994 sei) and in 6 months ive had new head gasket, alternator, dissy cap/rotor arm now this. Help

Reply to
jason mossman

Assuming that the cable is not broken and the clutch arm is moving correctly, then the clutch may have broken up (common( or the gearbox to engine bolts may be loose. Cable is fairly common fault, but I have seen more needing a clutch than a cable. about 200 quid all in for a complete clutch.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I would have thought if the cable had gone the pedal would go flat to the floor and stay there, at least that's what happened on my Xantia the other day.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Clutch plate is very thin even when new on these models hence short life standard fit is Valeo :-( and the clutch is designed to be very compact with a short throw. Trick when fitting new one is to use a long 8mm bolt screwed into a threaed hole in the bellhousing to hold the release arm back-- this stops the release bearing falling off the clips on the fork as the gear box is offered up to the flywheel.

Reply to
am018

I have found this is a car where it is faster to remove the engine, rather than the gearbox. Not that anyone has them repaired anymore!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful