Strange sound when lifting off the throttle

Hi there,

I've had my 1998 Golf GTI 1.8T a few weeks and since owning it I've noticed a slight noise every time I lift off the throttle. It's not a loud dump valve wheeze that you hear on some cars. I can only describe

it as a sort of whickering sound. I've always assumed that this is normal sound for the turbo to make, but I've got to thinking that maybe

it's not. Any ideas?

Russ

Reply to
Tayles

The kind of noise some rally cars make on lift off you mean?

If so it could be that the dump valve is stuck closed stalling the turbo.

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Yeah, that's the kind of thing. The turbo seems to be working though. I can feel it kicking in above 2000 revs.

Russ

Reply to
Tayles

Sounds like waste gate chatter. Nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

You have an infestation of Pigeons. Fitting an induction kit allows them better access and more congregate in the inlet increasing the volume of the pigeon noises.

Peter Hill

In that case don't worry about it too much, will run perfectly like that :)

Could perhaps be worth checking that the dump valve is still fitted as some people take them off and block the pipes to get the noise your describing.

Reply to
Tim Anderson