strut centre nut overtightened?

hi there, i just replaced my front shocks on my escort.they are giving a thumping sound however when i go over bumps or when i turn the steering wheel.

i fear i may have overtightend the strut centre nut, but since i needed to use an allen key to hold the strut shaft from turning , i couldnt use my torque wrench to measure how tight it is.

could anyone familiar with this area tell me what are the symptons of under/overtightening the strut nut?

thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

If you were using a ring spanner and an allen key, I'd say it pretty unlikely you've over tightened it. But once it's pretty tight so it can't turn, you can then usually check it with a torque wrench.

A common cause of noise is the gasket between the spring and housing having failed allowing a metal to metal contact. And the spring will move slightly with strange noises as you go from lock to lock etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the noise was preexisting then perhaps you have a ball joint or bush gone, rather than the shock absorber?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

you haven't seated the springs properly then or you've left something lose go round and check everything again

and did you make sure you tightened the inner nut before you put the shock back in the inner wing to do up the outer nut?

Reply to
dojj