That dragging feeling ...

I have a Peugeot Partner diesel van and it and I are currently working in the south of France (Its a hard life ...)

Yesterday I noticed a defect, which feels like the van is occasionally tugged backwards as I am driving along. It doesnt happen all the time, or regularly I think, but I'd like some advice as to ...

  1. What is the problem. My idea is that it is not firing properly on one cylinder but I must admit that this is complete guesswork as I know nothing about motor mechanics. Another possible clue is that I am driving up a rough mountain track each day and the bottom of the van often gets scraped

  1. Will it stay the same, get worse or go away? Ideally I'd like to leave it until I get home to England so my usual mechanic can sort it out, but I do have an 800 mile journey to do before I get there. Vans like mine are very common around here so I dont think that getting it fixed will be too much of a problem, its just the logistics of being without a van when I'm trying to work and my limited command of the French language

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Are you sure that you are not actually going up a hill when this happens? I ask because there are one or two places in the UK where the road is in such a position that you think you are going downhill, but actually you are going up. Part of the A5 in Wales is like this. Stop the vehicle and see which way it rolls when left to its own devices. It may surprise you.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Assuming it's as well serviced as the rest of them who post with problems here, I reckon there's a chance the fuel filter is due a change.

They never go away.

Personally I'd get it sorted in France. Cheaper parts and they know what they're doing.

Reply to
Conor

Yup, even with the current exchange rate it'll probably be cheaper. How many miles has it done?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its not that sort of issue. The 'dragging' lasts for less than a second Anna

Reply to
aaaroseby

Not unless the filter is defective or something. It was changed just before Xmas

You could be right Anna

Reply to
aaaroseby

Then that will be the only thing in France that is cheaper. I have been most disappointed that the wine is more expensive :-(

About 70K

Anna

Reply to
aaaroseby

Then that will be the only thing in France that is cheaper. I have been most disappointed that the wine is more expensive :-(

About 70K

Anna

Go to spain, a litre of quite gluggable red is less than 70p

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Change the fuel filter & see how much it'll cost to get the injectors cleaned & tested before you let them loose on it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The symptom doesn't suggest the filter is the problem. A blocked filter will reduce the engine maximum revs. To the point in a severe case[1] where it will stop the engine, allow you to start it again, but only run for a few seconds before stopping again.

It's much more likely to be an injector, or the control system electronics.

[1] Like the one I was called out to that had had a bag of sugar poured in the tank, which eventually clogged the filter.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Is it at the same rev range each time, I have a similar issue between

1500 & 1800 rpm, I was advised it maybe one of the engine mountings. Does it feel a bit like a misfire would on a petrol engine?

Alan...

Reply to
Alan Smith

Probably

Yes

I am having second thoughts about the problem now. I went out for a drive to San Tropez yesterday, thirty miles along good flat roads and I had no problems at all, so I wonder if it is due to me driving a van with cold engine slowly up a windy road ... and down ... and up ... and down ... and up ... and ...

So basically it is never getting a good run. For the next few days I shall try running the engine for longer before I set off to try and warm it up more and see if the fault recurs

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

If it's running OK on good roads, there may not be a problem at all. On rough mountain tracks, I would expect to get a bit of wheelspin occasionally, also a bit of difficulty occasionally when negotiating the odd rock or pothole. This would naturally make the vehicle lose a bit of drive and make it lurch about a bit.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Like for like? I doubt it. Whatever wine you can buy there is almost certainly better than what you buy here (and having checked online prices, it doesn't seem to have gone up, just the poor exchange rate). Seek out a decent Gaillac for an inexpensive and underrated wine.

Reply to
asahartz