The perfect garage.

I have a friend who has welding gear, a lathe, and many many tools in his garage (No room for car or bike, only the pushbike!). Slight overkill perhaps, but he swears by it.

What do you consider essential to have in the garage?

Reply to
Krycek

Krycek ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How big's the garage?

I'd *love* a lift in my garage - and it would quickly become something I would not want to give up for love or money.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Krycek" contains these words:

Three times the current space.

I'd be lost without a socket set, of course. And despite having started with a 1/2" set as a lad I'm now of the opinion that for most work a

3/8" set is more handy, though I still have 1/2" stuff around for things like headbolts.

Axle stands, ramps, jack of course.

Good lighting - the car port has 3x150W floodlamps on clamps so I can put 'em where I like.

Most of all - latex gloves. Work grinds to a halt if I run out.

Reply to
Guy King

Guess what I'm looking at buying. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Molegrips Gaffer tape Lump hammer

Yep. That should about cover everything...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

lol same here, especially if im doing a driveshaft gaiter !

Reply to
reg

I hankered after the same thing, but it'd never fit in, so I went down to Jewson, bought loads of timber, and made some full-length ramps instead. I can't imagine life without them now.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Depresion (blank@128.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A bigger garage?

Reply to
Adrian

roflmao excellent.

Reply to
reg

Colin Stamp ( snipped-for-privacy@stamp.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

See? It's simple. You need a bigger garage.

Reply to
Adrian

JPEG :)

Mark

Reply to
Krycek

Being built at the moment, still only room for 3 cars (with one lift).

Reply to
Depresion

The message from "reg" contains these words:

Thing is - the wife won't let me near her with grubby hands and I've the sort of skin which takes to ingrained dirt like a seabird to tar.

Reply to
Guy King

Depresion (blank@128.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Think laterally (or vertically).

Three cars with one lift equals four cars.

Reply to
Adrian

Depends on just how high I can get them but we have some nice low cars. Not that I'd want to tie up the lift like that, shame we couldn't get permission to make it 4 bays wide.

Reply to
Depresion

Oh, go on then.

As you can see, they're currently really useful for allowing me to park the car in the garage despite having loads of s**te all over the floor...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

what car is it Colin or what car is it going to be ?

Reply to
reg

Colin Stamp ( snipped-for-privacy@stamp.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Wouldn't it be easier to use the wood to make... shelves?

(BTW - Nice - what is it? Ginetta?)

Reply to
Adrian

Yup. Most seem to go for 1/2", but 3/8" is more useful for most things on a car. 1/4" is also worth having. My rather old Kamaza 1/4 & 3/4" socket set gets much more use than my 1/2" one. But then it has metric, AF and BA sockets. And an overlap with the common sizes between 1/4 and 3/8.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I envy my brother. His garage will take 6 large cars - two abreast. But is lit with two feeble fluorescent lights and full of so many 'projects' there's no room to work on a car in there. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)