The Polo Saga continues - whistling

There's a whistling noise in my Mum's shitheap of a Polo. 95 1.4 8v by the way. It seems like it's vacuum related - cruise along at 70 and you can hear it loud, put the brakes on and it dies away. It sounds like it's coming from behind the middle of the dash, but I doubt there's much in the way of vacuum gear in there as it's not a SAAB. Any common problems?

Reply to
Doki

Servo's leaking.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Nice. Any method of checking a servo?

Reply to
Doki

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

By the way, it's intermittent. I've just had the car running and it's not doing it...

Reply to
Doki

easy way to check a servo is working is to sit in the car with engine off, pump the brake a few times to use up any vacuum remaining in the system, then wait a few seconds, push brake pedal reasonably hard and start the engine. the pedal should drop slightly as the servo adds its assistance. If the pedal stays the same then the servo is u/s.

Reply to
radar