Thermostat Changing

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Seriously, just remember that with any sliding sunroof, the seals aren't really seals. They're just draught excluders. The water SHOULD be taken from the tray out to the A and C pillars by the drain tubes, which are probably blocked.

Reply to
Adrian

I don't know about other makes, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, Dow Corning manufactured silicone bathroom sealant is the same as that supplied as an engineering sealant. The only difference is in the packaging and possibly the colour, but the bathroom version is considerably cheaper. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Sadly, Renault in their majextic wisdom neglected to install drain tubes on this sunroof.

No, really, there are none. I've had it right out and it doesn't have any, nor anywhere to attach 'em. It's why Clio sunroofs leak.

Reply to
Guy King

is it the cassette wind back type or just the normal opening & close one ? if its the opening/close type we have in the past smeared vasaline around the rubber seal to help the sealing process.

Reply to
reg

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah. In that case, it appears you have two choices.

  1. Gaffer tape.
  2. Move to the Sahara.
Reply to
Adrian

The message from "reg" contains these words:

It's the sort where the glass slides outside the roof. I've tried vaseline.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

She takes a towel to the car when it's been raining.

Reply to
Guy King

It's not the same though, Dow make loads of different silicone sealants & the bathroom ones are normally acid cure & contain fungicide.

Reply to
Duncanwood

You may be right, but I prefer to believe what I was told by a Dow Corning rep, and having used the bathroom variety in my job as an engineer, It seems to perform equally as well as the 'Instant Gasket' type. Maybe both types contain fungicide. I can't see it would matter in engineering applications. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Plastic to plastic?

Reply to
Conor

The metal ones usually do. The plastic ones, such as on Zetecs, need nothing.

Reply to
Conor

The acid cure aspect can though, it rapidly makes stuff go rusty compared with non-acid varieties. It'a a bit like arguien all cyanoacrylate make good threadlock.

Reply to
Duncanwood

You say that, but I can't say I've noticed any acid effect. Rust etc, and I regularly use it for sealing steel and ally water cooled components.

It'a a bit like arguien all cyanoacrylate make

Sorry. I don't see the analogy. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

There's a very large range of silicone sealants, they're all silicone sealant, but they're not all the same. There's a large range of cyanoacrylate threadlocks around but stud & bearing fit isn't the same as screwlock. Bathroom sealant will almost certainly seal thermostats, the acetoxy version will also rust panels & wrecks lamda sensors.

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from Conor contains these words:

Metal to metal, in this case.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

I read that as dreadlocks - and thought - "Nope, cyano'd make smashing dreads".

Reply to
Guy King

I do know that, as I use several different types of Loctite in my job. The difference is that each Loctite product is designed to do a specific job, whereas silicone sealants are more of a general purpose product.

There are different types of bathroom sealants. I'm not referring to any that are not silicone based.

the

I am only going by personal experience. The silicone sealant I buy at my local hardware shop, doesn't appear to be any more corrosive than 'Instant Gasket' from Halfords. I do have to take the tools apart at infrequent intervals for repair, maintenance etc, and neither type seems any more corrosive than the other, or inferior in any other way. Having said that, I've no doubt that in specific applications, use of the right type of silicone sealant could be critical. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mike G ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I have. NEVER use bathroom sealant as a seam sealer on steel panels.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm talking only about silicone based sealants. There are other types of bathroom sealants which I wouldn't even consider using. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ah. Does need one then.

Reply to