This problem is doing my head in (Citroen ZX)

Hi guys, Any clues on this one? My J reg ZX runs well once it starts but starting it can be a headache. When I turn the key, I get one of two reactions from the car...

1... There is a strong starter turnover and the car starts perfectly. 2... There is a weak starter turnover as though the battery is nearly dead but this goes on for ages and ages and ages so the battery is obviously NOT flat and the car eventually starts and then runs teriffic.

Here's what I've done but I'm no car mechanic or electric genius... New Starter. New Battery New Alternator All wiring and connections checked for corrosion, bad joints etc.

On tickover, the battery is being charged at between 13v and 13.8v with a full load of lights, heater blower etc. Any clues as to what is wrong before I slash my wrists in frustration? Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve

The message from snipped-for-privacy@lifeofriley.freeserve.co.uk (Steve) contains these words:

Including engine to bodywork strap?

Reply to
Guy King

Wot Guy said, plus check the cable going from the battery to the starter/solenoid. I had one fracture internally on a Lada which was a right bugger to track down.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Before spending that sort of money, you should have measured the voltage drop on both 'live' and earth. To do this you need a reasonable DVM which reads about 2 volts full scale and wire it between the battery earth terminal and the starter casing, get someone to operate the starter with the ignition disabled, and note the reading. Repeat between the battery positive and the starter terminal. The two results added should be less than 0.5 volts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks, guys. I'll have another look in the morning but as for post #4.... I know you mean well but was that English? lol. I can barely tell which is the pos and which is the neg on the battery. Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve

MAde perfect sense to me old bean

Reply to
Malc

Then perhaps you would be best to use a decent garage - it couldn't have cost you more money than your efforts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Steve wrote on 14 Jun 2004 19:40:32 -0700:

It makes more sense than your post does, what with the lack of any quoting. Whats "post #4" anyway? Posts are given message ID's which are a bit longer than that... and they arrive in different orders on different servers most of the time.

Anyway, if you can't use a digital voltmeter, may I suggest you can't fix your electrical problem?

Reply to
David Taylor

Indeed. Basic fault finding on the electrics of a car isn't exactly rocket science. A DVM will include basic instructions on how to use it, or you could ask here. There are also plenty of books available about the basics of DC theory.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

-0700:

I suspect he's using Google groups because it does make some sort of sense then

Reply to
Malc