Timing belt or chain-which is best?

In message , Peter Hill writes

You forgot about the 750KZ and the bigger 900. ISTR I had to replace the camchain and tensioner at about 23K miles. I think the guide blade use to break up allowing the chain to rub on the cylinder block.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

He didn't mention OHC, I was specifically thinking of pushrod engines like ford V4 and V6's which gave little trouble until old or unlucky, when the fibre teeth fell off.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I worked in a Suzuki dealers, cam chain replacement was almost an 'in your sleep' job.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The OP couldn't really be asking if belt drive OHV was better than chain. The ONLY belt drive OHV engine I know of is the Moto Morini V twin design in 3 1/2 and 500. uk.r.m would be the place for that question.

and extending the question to a choice between antique gear driven OHV or modern DOHC with either belt or chain is ludicrous.

The move from OHV like the Fords you mention to OHC like the Nissan L series in 1970's represents a watershed in motor vehicle reliability. Cars could be expected do 100K+ miles just with regular maintenance. Sadly Ford's attempt the Pinto was badly flawed in the camshaft lubrication dept, having belt change period ordained by need for a cam change just wasn't good enough anymore.

Peter Hill