Tips for getting tie rod end off

I'm having some bother this morning removing a tie rod end, I have a spanner on the flat and trying to undo the rod end no no avail, maybe some more plus gas and a cuppa tea or a trip to the gym ?

Just doesn't seem it wants to budge.

Reply to
Jeff

Heat is always better than snake oil 'penetrating' oil - unless you can soak it for days.

Try dribbling a kettle of boiling water over it if you don't have another source of heat like a blowlamp. But a Stillson is probably better to stop the trackrod turning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It sounds like you've removed the ball join from it's taper before freeing it off from the rod. I would put the tapered pin back in, then turn the rod with a stillsons, just enough to free it off, then remove the joint. All this of course may depend on what the arrangement at the other end of the rod is, you don't say.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

On further thought, I think what you mean is you can't undo the locknut, yes? Make sure you're turning it the right way, it may be left or right hand threaded. Clean off the rust with a wire brush and have a good look at the threads, the soak it with plus gas if you have any.

I've always manged to undo them with a spanner, and a ring spanner hooked on the other end of it if needed. Frowned upon I know, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Are you trying to undo the locknut? or actually unscrew the joint from the end of the rack?

I had in a 55 plate Merc the other day, to undo the locknut on that I had to get the blowlamp out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Angle grinder?

Reply to