Type approval of motor vehicles

Does anyone know what is the name of the certificate given to motor vehicles by type to allow them to be used on UK roads. Is CiC anything
to do with it and what does it stand for anyway?
Rob Graham
they were saying:

EU roads, but the sentiment stands.

Certificate of Compliance.
On 17/11/2010 19:52, Adrian wrote:

Are you saying that the UK does not have its own certificate in this respect and that the rules are EU-wide?

For new vehicle type approval any countrys approval procedure is supposed to be acceptable to all countrys, that's why dim-dip went away. Or are you talking about SVA & ESVA?
On 17/11/2010 22:54, Duncan Wood wrote:

I'm not sure what I'm talking about, but basically I'm interested to know what certification is necessary for imports into the UK?
Rob
they were saying:

From the EU?
What age of vehicle?
If it's over 10yo, then all you need is an MOT. If it's under 10yo, then you need the certificate of conformity, which you should be able to get from the manufacturer.
On 18/11/2010 09:18, Adrian wrote:

I'm meaning imports into UK from outside the EU. These imports need to be certified as being fit for UK (OK, EU if you will) roads. Someone has to test a sample and then provide a certificate of type (not an individual test of each vehicle as per MOT). What is the cert and which body does the testing and provides the cert?
Rob
they were saying:

Then forget a CoC, because there won't be an applicable one - a non-EU spec car, even with an EU equivalent, will differ sufficiently that the manufacturer won't give you the EU-spec CoC.
If it's <10yo, then it'll need an SVA (or has it changed to something else now? IVA? I forget). If it's a car that's commonly imported, then I think there's a process where somebody might have done testing to certify that particular model, but I doubt they'd extend that certification to cars that they aren't personally importing.
If it's 10yo+, then just MOT.
On 18/11/2010 09:56, Adrian wrote:

But if I have it tested myself (these are brand new vehicles I'm talking about) then I haven't got to go back to the manufacturer apart from getting him to make any necessary mods. Am I on the right lines?

Are you saying the certificate belongs to the person who's importing it, rather than being an all-embracing type certificate that would apply to all these vehicles regardless of the importer?
Which body deals with these things?

Yup
VOSA
they were saying:

This is starting to sound like you're planning to be importing a number of brand new cars, for sale as brand new cars, as a business venture?
If so, then you're really going to need to take some professional advice. I'd start by talking to the SMMT.
I presume this is a manufacturer that's not currently present in the EU, rather than parallel import?

AIUI, yes, but I wouldn't take that as gospel.

VOSA.
On 18/11/2010 10:15, Adrian wrote:

Indeed.
That sounds like sound advice.

The former.
they were saying:

Out of interest, are you happy to say what?
On 18/11/2010 10:38, Adrian wrote:

I will be in due course, but right now, it'd be better not!
they were saying:

I understand.

If it's a one off or small number then it's an sva, if it's a moderate number then it's an ESVA, VOSA do the actual inspections http://tinyurl.com/vosasva
On 18/11/2010 10:06, Duncan Wood wrote:

Ah! so it's VOSA. In the case I'm thinking of it will be more than a moderate number.
Rob
they were saying:

Then forget SVA, ESVA or whatever - you're going to have to go through the formal type approval process.
On 18/11/2010 10:16, Adrian wrote:

Yes. That's exactly what I'm getting at. Is it VOSA that does this?
they were saying:

I wasn't, but I will. There are certain regulation differences between the countries, but compliance as a whole is EU-wide.