Type approval of motor vehicles

Does anyone know what is the name of the certificate given to motor vehicles by type to allow them to be used on UK roads. Is CiC anything to do with it and what does it stand for anyway?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

EU roads, but the sentiment stands.

Certificate of Compliance.

Reply to
Adrian

Are you saying that the UK does not have its own certificate in this respect and that the rules are EU-wide?

Reply to
Rob Graham

For new vehicle type approval any countrys approval procedure is supposed to be acceptable to all countrys, that's why dim-dip went away. Or are you talking about SVA & ESVA?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I wasn't, but I will. There are certain regulation differences between the countries, but compliance as a whole is EU-wide.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm not sure what I'm talking about, but basically I'm interested to know what certification is necessary for imports into the UK?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

So does the vehicle require a CiC (have I got the initials correct?) plus other documentation, and who (hands-on) actually provides this?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

From the EU?

What age of vehicle?

If it's over 10yo, then all you need is an MOT. If it's under 10yo, then you need the certificate of conformity, which you should be able to get from the manufacturer.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm meaning imports into UK from outside the EU. These imports need to be certified as being fit for UK (OK, EU if you will) roads. Someone has to test a sample and then provide a certificate of type (not an individual test of each vehicle as per MOT). What is the cert and which body does the testing and provides the cert?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Then forget a CoC, because there won't be an applicable one - a non-EU spec car, even with an EU equivalent, will differ sufficiently that the manufacturer won't give you the EU-spec CoC.

If it's

Reply to
Adrian

If it's a one off or small number then it's an sva, if it's a moderate number then it's an ESVA, VOSA do the actual inspections

Duncan Wood

But if I have it tested myself (these are brand new vehicles I'm talking about) then I haven't got to go back to the manufacturer apart from getting him to make any necessary mods. Am I on the right lines?

Are you saying the certificate belongs to the person who's importing it, rather than being an all-embracing type certificate that would apply to all these vehicles regardless of the importer?

Which body deals with these things?

Reply to
Rob Graham

Ah! so it's VOSA. In the case I'm thinking of it will be more than a moderate number.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Yup

VOSA

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

This is starting to sound like you're planning to be importing a number of brand new cars, for sale as brand new cars, as a business venture?

If so, then you're really going to need to take some professional advice. I'd start by talking to the SMMT.

I presume this is a manufacturer that's not currently present in the EU, rather than parallel import?

AIUI, yes, but I wouldn't take that as gospel.

VOSA.

Reply to
Adrian

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Then forget SVA, ESVA or whatever - you're going to have to go through the formal type approval process.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes. That's exactly what I'm getting at. Is it VOSA that does this?

Reply to
Rob Graham

Indeed.

That sounds like sound advice.

The former.

Reply to
Rob Graham

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Out of interest, are you happy to say what?

Reply to
Adrian

I will be in due course, but right now, it'd be better not!

Reply to
Rob Graham