Tyre Valve no longer sealing, would a valve extender fix this?

The valve on one of my tyres is no longer sealing. Could I use a valve extender to seal this? Thanks

Link for extenders below

Peter

better to just replace the valve stem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Is it possible to do this without removing the tyre?

Thanks

Reply to
Peter

That would not be a very sensible idea.

The valve core probably just has a bit of dirt in it or is not screwed in fully. Get a valve core removal tool, let the tyre down, remove the core, clean it up or replace it with one from another old tyre and you should be good to go. Items you might need are shown here.

Of course if the valve is leaking round the outside then it needs a new one fitting by a tyre place.

Reply to
Dave Baker

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 14:10:07 +0000, Peter boggled us with:

That would be a rather stupid, possibly dangerous idea.

Go to a tyre place, get them to replace the valve. It'll cost no more than a fiver or so. Last one I took back was done free.

Reply to
Mike P

They don't have to remove the tyre, but do have to break the bead, ie push the tyre away from the rim so the new valve can be pushed through from the inside. But as others have suggested, it may just be the core. Also, an unusual but not unknown failure mode would be leakage between the rubber and the brass parts of the valve. Test by squirting soapy water on to find out where it's coming out. If it's the core, you can change it yourself, ideally while next to an air line.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat