Vauxhall Astra Estate - brake light problem

Hello,

I have a 2001 Astra diesel estate and have found that the brake lights at either side do not work but the one in the top of the rear door window does. Having checked the bulbs, they appear to be ok. I couldn't find any faulty fuses either. Any suggestions as to where the problem may lie? I will be trying new bulbs as well.

BTW - what a PITA to get to the bulbs !! Take off two thumbscrews internally and then push the cluster assembly off the car to expose the snap in light fitting.

TIA

Reply to
No-one

Removing the fuse stopped the working light working. Are they all on the same circuit?

Reply to
No-one

Those are very easy to get at compared to some vehicles!!

The same fuse does all the brake lights. I expect you are either looking at the wrong bulbs (perhaps the fog light bulbs) or the filaments look OK but are actually broken.

I would first double check that you are looking at the right bulb (look at another astra to establish which area lights with the brake) Then try a new bulb of the right type in that location (even if the old one looks OK). I am reasonably certain this will fix it. If not, then you need to start delving deeper with multimeters or test lamp.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

(Hands head in shane :-)) ) You are absolutely right. Many thanks. I had looked at the bulb rack in the manual for an older Astra we have and it is a different layout. All working now. Thank you again.

Best regards.

Reply to
No-one