Vauxhall Zafira gearbox problems

2000 2.0 Dti Zafira. First gear only difficult to engage at best, impossible at worst. Linkage cables replaced and selector on outside of gearbox lubed at dealer suggestion, to no avail. Could it be lack of gear oil or perhaps internal first gear selector? thanks
Reply to
winstongault

First thing I'd have checked was gearbox oil level and clutch adjustment.

Reply to
Conor

does it go in to gear easily if the engine is not running?

Reply to
mrcheerful

Doesn't matter whether engine on or not

Reply to
winstongault

then it is either linkage/adjustment or the box, not the clutch

Reply to
mrcheerful

Just to let you know ..... the oiling of the gear selector on the outside of the gearbox seems to have started to work. Just remove the battery and battery tray and oil or grease the pivots and pins. bit awkward but I found blowing oil in with a blow gun on a compressor seemed to penetrate best.

Reply to
winstongault