Vectra 2.2 Odd noise

Hi

My Veccy has started making a new noise when starting from cold. It's a sort of ticking/tapping noise that varies with engine speed, quite noticable. After the engines been running about 20-30 seconds it stops. Anything to worry about? Any idea what it might be?

2.2 petrol 40k 51 plate
Reply to
Chris Moss

I'd say hydraulic tappets which isn't good on a 40k miles car. Are you sure its not 140k miles?

Reply to
Conor

Get it to the dealer *immediately*. The 2.2 has very well known issues with the timing chain tensioner which soon results in a broken chain and detroyed engine. Often they dont give any warning at all. The engine is complete scrap when the chain breaks, and it will.

As long as you have a proper service history, Vx will replace the parts FOC.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Could it just be "diesel noise" when cold?

Now it's freezing in the morning, mine sounds a bit diesely until it's warmed up a bit.

I only *notice* it at idle or over-run though.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

*Very* sound advice. I know of 2 which have suffered catastrophic engine damage due to this problem. The firm next door to us has (had!) 5 of these motors. Very expensive warranty claim for VX.

JB

Reply to
JB

To add, from what I have experienced, if the engine does go bang, they will only contribute to replacement cost- upto about 80%, but not 100%.

To repeat, they will pay 100% for timing chain / tensioners replacement though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)