Warped discs - definitely calipers?

I bought a MK3 Cavalier last summer, the front discs were warped so I replaced discs & pads. The discs have gradually warped again, to the fairly violent shudder stage. At first this was only noticeable while braking from high speeds, but as the shudder has got worse it is noticeable at lower speeds as well.

I'm assuming one or both of the calipers are sticky, however someone said it probably isn't the calipers but the suspension. I'm also assuming the shudder is due to warped discs, as replacing the discs last June temporarily cured the problem, and the shudder feels the same this time round.

Is it possible that it is a suspension problem? How can I tell if it is the calipers or not? Am I way off track?!

The car is mainly driven to/from work, no real high speed stuff or long journeys.

TIA

Pete

Reply to
PM

It seems to me that some discs are prone to warping you leave your foot on the brake after braking, which causes the discs to cool down more quickly away from the pad than under it. I don't know why this sometimes happens and sometimes not.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Did you check the runout on the new disks after you fitted them?

I learned, the hard way, that there can sometimes be a quite a lot of runout still there after changing the pads. It won't be noticeable as brake judder, but it will make the new disks wear unevenly until the judder comes back big-time.

Dial gauges are quite cheap now, and they're a really good investment.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Are you _sure_ it's warped discs?

I had a Mk2 that had issues with the slider pins on the calipers seizing, leading to the caliper being at a slight angle that gave exactly this symptom.

Stripping them down & a re-grease solved it.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Also if the suspension bushes have gone soft it makes an y runout much more noticeable at the wheel

Reply to
Duncan Wood

This is apparently the most common cause of recurring judder. There's a good article about it somewhere - I'll see if I can find it. Anyway, it usually means the caliper needs stripping and regreasing or replacing. Fitting new disks rarely sorts it out long term, unless the fitter happens to clean up and regrease the calipers at the same time.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

You're lucky to get the car back with its wheel nuts tightened up these days, let alone cleaned up and greased the callipers!

Regards tox

Reply to
God's gift to women

Apart from the maintenance stuff of lubricating the caliper slides and bleeding the brake fluid, I found that jumping on the brake pedal periodically (while the car is stationary!) seems to free the movement of the calipers.

Reply to
Carl Bowman