what tyres for the winter months?

Can anyone recommend some good tyres for wet weather conditions? Vredestein perhaps?

Reply to
grape

grape gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

In most of the UK, we don't get weather cold enough to justify winter tyres - so there's no real benefit in changing from the tyres you'd be using the rest of the year.

Reply to
Adrian

There are tyres better suited to wet weather though, are there not?

Reply to
grape

grape gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Why the f*ck aren't you using tyres capable of coping with a bit of water ALL year? It's not as if we don't see water through the summer, is it?

Reply to
Adrian

What car? What driving style? Snetterton or Brands Hatch?

Reply to
Adrian C

You mean like the wet weather we get all year round? Just go for a decent brand name "All seasons" tyre. Weather in the UK is "average". We don't get prolonged periods of sun, rain or snow so there's no need to have specific tyre types for the times of year. If it's coming to winter though and the tread is getting low, change them a bit earlier instead of waiting until they get to the legal minimum.

FYI, I once fitted proper winter tyres to a car in winter. I rearended two vehicles on two seperate occasions because I couldn't stop in the wet.

Reply to
Conor

Distance?

Reply to
Mark

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Again, nothing whatsoever to do with winter. The legal minimum's way too low.

Reply to
Adrian

Yep. I changed the tyres on my car recently because they looked and felt s**te. They still had 3mm of tread on

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Looked?

Reply to
grape

Probably because you're supposed to double the gap in the wet...

Reply to
grape

grape gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, they would have looked like they were getting to be knackered.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, you know, that thing you do with your eyes? Badly feathered round the edges, looking like little tread left and feeling distinctly ungrippy on the road. So I changed them. They still had double the amount of tread on they needed to be legal.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

About 100ft after coming out of a very sharp left hand corner at low speed.

Travelled down Brooklands Road and turned onto Brett St. Car was just before the junction with St. Johns Walk waiting to turn right.

Reply to
Conor

You don't even know the circumstances...

Reply to
Conor

That is about the point I change mine.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I don't need to, you were obviously not leaving a big enough gap for the conditions. 4 seconds in the wet, and it's more than enough even with nearly bald tyres I would think.

Reply to
grape

Distance is meaningless without knowing the speed.

Reply to
grape

How do I do that when I'd just rounded a very tight left corner at a slow speed and there was a car no more than 100ft away yet I still slid into them even though I brakes as soon as I saw them? The only way to leave a 4 second gap was to stop before the corner and before I could see round it.

As I said....

Reply to
Conor

No, you'd have to drive round the corner slower, 100' is 17mph in 4 seconds. Stopping beforehand doesn't make any difference.

Reply to
Duncan Wood