Winter Tyres

Well, it looks like my Alfa 75 isn't going to be ready for our trip to Austria next weekend - I think I'll have to get my mechanic to take the driveshaft off and get it refurbished, as nobody has an exchange item on the shelf.

So I've been looking at preparing the MX5 for the trip - and watching the weather with interest.

It seems like it'll be snowing in Kaunertal when we arrive, so I've already ordered a set of snow chains... but my tyres are a little 'used'

- they've done half a dozen track days and a trip to Berlin and back via the 'Ring.

They're still very legal for use in the UK, and I'd run them over here without any problem - I reckon they'll do another couple of track days, too - but they're not really suitable for snow.

My options are:

Keep the current Uniroyal Rain Experts on the wheels I have fitted at the moment and get some winters fitted to my spare alloys

or... get a new set of Rain Experts fitted (which do actually work quite well in the snow anyway) and keep the Pirelli P6000s on my spare set of wheels, which can be trashed on a trackday next summer.

I suppose the 3rd option is a set of Rain Experts on the spare rims, which would give me the best of both worlds, but might not be quite so good if I encounter serious snow.

What does the group reckon?

Reply to
SteveH