www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk

'Vehicle Enquiry'

On one of the cars I sold I get.. Date of Liability 01 02 1999 Vehicle Status Unlicensed Spose it means it's either bin scrapped or written off.

One of my neighbours is declared SORN, but he still uses it but it's parked on his drive when he's not.

Just need it to tell you whether a car's reported stolen, now.

Reply to
Gøñzølã

Gøñzølã (T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep. Or just sitting somewhere without either tax or SORN for the last seven years...

And does he have a current tax disc in the windscreen?

Reply to
Adrian

Can't be SORN, it'll be listed as it if it was. I reckon he killed himself in it, he was only young :o)

Can't say I've noticed, I only noticed the back when he drove past earlier.

Reply to
Gøñzølã

Gøñzølã (T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

D'you think that might be why I said "without either tax or SORN"...?

Worth a little look...

If it's untaxed, is it insured? MOTd?

Reply to
Adrian

If not taxed I am quite sure even if he has a policy his insurance company would back away quickly.

Reply to
gazzafield

Sad thing is, despite all the advertising, if you report this to the police they're not interested - we've had a couple of people round us do this regularly. Even had a case when one parked his unlicensed, un-MOT'd (you could see the road through the floor!) tranny van on our garden when we went away for a few days! Told the police, they got him to shift it, but it was then parked on the road nearby for two weeks - Plod couldn't care less.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Typical isn't it.....For the last 9 years, since I started driving, I have always kept up to date with my tax, insurance and MOT, but last year I let things slip and paid for it. Quite literally.

I had to attend the International Sandcastle-building Tournament which was being held in Dagbad (!!). Short notice to go away and all the other pressures caused me to forget about the fact that the road tax would expire whilst I was away, so when I remembered, about 2 weeks after the tax ran out, I promptly got in touch with DVLA only to find that they had issued me with a =A380 penalty for failing to re-tax my car. Cheers!

Not that I'm bitter, but I know a guy who has no tax, mot or insurance and only holds a provisional licence and he drives around town every day of the week with his boy racer chums.

How come, after several phone calls to the local coppers and DVLA, he is still getting away with it whilst those of us who made a genuine mistake get stiffed with a fine??

Reply to
CK

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fuck that. If it was in MY garden, I'd be straight on the phone to a scrappy to collect it.

Reply to
Adrian

IME, you'd have great difficulty persuading them to take it without the V5.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:51:56 -0800, CK wrote: SNIP

Not for much longer........... The scrotes soon won`t be able to get off their estates. Our city was festooned with CCTV a few years back. Now they have software on them reading all number plates as cars enter town. The paper is full of fines and community service for no tax/insurance/licence. They are now extending it to main roads in the district and have some mobile set ups. I thought there was a national initiative for this too? Best thing that has happened for years around here :) Mik

Reply to
Mik

The message from Mik contains these words:

It's certainly reduced the number of dodgy old bangers where I live.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah, absolutely. I got stung for not one but two "failure to SORN"s a cople of years back. They take it out on those of us that care about our reputations and let the scum carry on regardless. Bitter? Let's just say I'm not like the Murphy's.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The honest are easier to find and extort^h^h^h extract money from.

I`m sure the government get more income from criminalising innocent mistakes than by prosecuting / fining career criminals.

I wonder how hard it would be to get some figures on that - you could include drivers with one-off inadvertant speed scamera fines.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

It's not about income. I suspect the fines don't pay for themselves directly.

However without the enforcement the income raised by VED would go down significantly, so it does pay for itself in the end - just not by the fines.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

My car was sat on the roadside whilst awaiting parts for the MOT (bloody jaguar in plymouth, bunch of muppets) and the tax ran out, about 12 days in total. renewed it the same day it passed the MOT and not heard anything about a fine... yet...

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Didn't ask me for it when they picked one of my spares cars up when I'd finished stripping it. ;-)

Buggered if I was paying £19.00 so I could send it back saying it had been scrapped.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not IME.

"It's already been sent back to DVLA as scrapped, mate"

Reply to
Adrian

In the not too distant past I've tried two local scrappies to collect an old MOT failure.

First thing they both asked was whether I still had the "log book". They both said "Sorry mate, we're not allowed to take it without that".

My assumption was that they hoped to get a ticket on it and sell it as a runner.

It may be that as the price of scrap has risen recently, it is worth them collecting again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

or use it to ring a stolen car

Reply to
adder1969

Ignore it. I got one of those when I was overseas (not quite such a warm and welcoming place) and ignored it. It was never followed up - retaxed the car the next year with no trouble.

Mike

--

'As I walk along these shoresI am the history within'

Reply to
Mike Ross